Wednesday, October 17, 2007

vile child

Current work: archaeologist c10/11
Listening to: Suzanne Vega
Reading: next on TBR pile

Radio interviews went well yesterday; ditto guitar lesson and parent-teacher consultation (am v pleased with son and I like his teacher – he’s sensitive and has a good approach that will work well with son).

Son was a bit grumpy when I picked him up from school – turns out that this vile boy has a) claimed their teacher told him son was bottom of the class for everything except maths (complete rubbish for two reasons: teachers don’t discuss students with other students, and son is much further up the class than said vile child) and b) been walking round saying that son’s entire family are “lowlifes”. (How pleasant. Not.) I’ve spoken to son’s teacher about it because this is not acceptable behaviour – son will lash out if provoked, and being nasty about his family is the quickest way to wind him up. (His teacher will deal with it – and I noted that nothing I said was questioned. Actually, the vile child is known for this kind of behaviour and also lies like mad so his mother storms up to school and accuses other children of bullying him, when it’s actually the other way round.)

Was very tempted to tell son to return the name-calling and dub said vile child “clotted cream” (i.e. rich and thick) but resisted. Just. Instead, explained to son that in a) above it's untrue because vile child knows he's not as clever and is jealous, and in b) vile child is talking from an uninformed perspective (he doesn’t know us) so his opinion is worth precisely nothing. “His dad works for the Bank of Scotland and says it’s more powerful than the Bank of England...” Hilarious! Since when has a clearing bank (and not even one of the Big Four) made monetary policy? Vile child doesn’t have a clue about economics or even a grip on reality, does he? So maybe I shouldn’t be too harsh - could be fantasising because he doesn't get enough attention at home. (I would really, really like to lecture his parents on good manners and social mores, though.)

Today: interview with BBC Radio Cambridgeshire; work, work, work and a bit more work; school open day so I need to show my face as governor and wear make-up (will do that 3 mins before leaving house). And then work. Might have got more done yesterday had son actually DONE his homework instead of needing help with it at the last minute. He was supposed to do an outline for a story, so given what I do for a living it would’ve been a tad mean of me to make his dad be homework helper. So I gave him the quick and dirty guide to mindmapping a story (starts with character) and acted as an amanuensis to write down the structure as he dictated it. Seems he is on the side of people who loathe writing outlines…

Would also help my productivity if DH wouldn’t wake up at stupid o’clock, wake me up to check if I was asleep (duuuuh)… and then fall asleep again and snore while I’m wide awake. That’s two nights running he's done that. (And yes, that’s why I’m writing this at stupid o’clock. Either that or go buy myself a ‘chocolate tasting selection’ from Hotel Chocolat.) If he does it again tonight, he's sleeping on the sofa.

6 comments:

Jan Jones said...

Oh dear, there always is a 'vile child', isn't there? And yes, of course it's jealousy, but that is precious little help to our own bruised ones. You could try telling son that VC is one of the most unpleasant people he's ever going to meet on a daily basis, so if he can evolve a strategy to deal with him he's cracked life?

(((hugs))) for you both

Nell Dixon said...

((Hugs)) as Jan said, there's always one isn't there? My youngest had to write a back of the book blurb for her homework and was very miffed that I made her do it herself.

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,
you have made me feel so much better today. I am also suffering from a VC and his even viler mother. My little boy is only four and not even full time yet, my VC is an enormous year 1 who takes karate lessons and is a sneaky bully - I've caught him at it many times. But it was what you said about 'mother' marching in and accusing others of bullying her little angel, that struck a chord. Same here! Completely psycho! Grrr.
Really puts your blood pressure up doesn't it?
However, therapy through writing is the key for me here. (A Jane Wenham-Jones Tip) I intend to channel all my negative feelings and spittingnailsness into a truly hateful character. Only I will know the truth, but one day Lidia Skiptree (all names changed obviously) will get a very humiliating comeuppance!
I'm starting to feel calmer already.
Don't let 'em get you down!
Rach.
XX

Unknown said...

Why does there always have to be a VC? (I love the 'clotted cream', by the way.) You have my sympathy.

As for DH waking you up and then snoring merrily, I get that. Often. Grr. (You need chocolate. Lots of it.)

Anonymous said...

Hugs to your son Kate and to you too Rachel - how awful.

Yes, I don't know why but there's always is a VC. And I'm pretty sure they're made and not born.

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - thanks, that's a good point.

Thanks, Nell. Smiles re your littlest - mine would be the same.

Hugs to you, Rach - that's horrible. I bet you the teachers know what he's really like, though, and are already taking steps to stop him bullying your little one and a few others besides. Good idea re therapy :o) - some children or adults get really nasty diseases in my Medicals and/or learn to be nicer people. I like poetic justice!

Shirley - I couldn't resist and gave him the line. He used it. VERY effective, too. (I'm waiting for the complaint, and then I'm going to tell the mother some home truths - and hopefully then she'll start to modify her own and her VC's behaviour.)

Amy - yup, and the sad thing is that it's a vicious circle and VC will end up with VCs of his own because he'll repeat the same mistakes.