Friday, October 12, 2007

back in the land of the living

Current work: slept all day yesterday
Listening to: Genesis, Calling All Stations
Reading: next up is Lilian Darcy’s Café Du Jour

Thanks to everyone who emailed me offloop or sent me cards. I’m fine now, thanks – a bit sore and headachy (it feels like a hangover), but no more pain.

Sedation is definitely the way to go. I was horribly nervous beforehand and I slept very badly the night before. But the anaesthetist was lovely and chatted to me about the sedation stuff (it’s a hypnol drug – apparently related to Valium) and the dentist was also lovely and reassuring, showed me my x-rays and pointed out that the teeth root were lovely and straight so it wasn’t going to be a difficult extraction. Anyway, the cannula hurt (always does, and I have a luvverly bruise this morning – not as bad as it would’ve been because they put pressure on it, but needles always mean bruises with me), and the sedation stuff… Well. Two seconds after it hit my veins, I felt woozy and smiley. And I have absolutely no recollection of what happened next. I remember being wobbly on my feet when I got off the chair, but I don’t remember leaving the building (I do hope I thanked the dentist), I don’t remember DH putting me in the car and I don’t remember walking in the front door. I do remember lying on the sofa and DH tucking a duvet round me, but that’s all. And that’s about all I did yesterday.

I was awake again when it was time for the school run and I thought the fresh air would do me good. Then DH had the bright idea of going out for dinner. ‘Er, honey, I can’t chew at the moment…’ So we ended up at Frankie and Benny’s – soup and risotto were both manageable.

Today: son is at home this morning as school is closed for the funeral of their former SENCO (a lovely, lovely man – son is quite upset about it). DH is taking Madam to school as I’m not quite feeling up to driving. I’ll see how it goes – might be another duvet day if the paracetamol doesn’t shift the headache; otherwise I’m halfway through a wedding in the book and I’d rather like to get on with it.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad it went well and it's all over. Well done you for facing the fear!!

Diane said...

My first "death" was at primary school. We didn't understand what had happened but sang at his funeral anyway.

Sounds like DH looked after you just fine. Hope the headache goes, but if it doesn't, no sweat. You've had a Major Operation. :o)

Anonymous said...

My first funeral and everything was when i was roughly 9 or 10 years old--that I can remember.

It was a fellow student that picked on me in..er..well we'll do this in the American way. He picked on me in Elementary (Now the British: Primary (I think)) school. One day, he was riding his bike when a drunk driver hit him.

I can remember going to the viewing--and this is the part that brings tears to my eyes even today--and just...breaking down. I was only 10 years old, and a student that went to the same school had passed away. My mom did everything she could to calm me down, praying, hugging me, etc. I wasn't the same for almost three months thats how much it effected me.

I think it's the reason that, to this day, I won't leave the house unless I know I'm safe in a car, or another person is walking with me. I think it's why I'm such a recluse. I was always afraid that the same thing would happen to me.

So, Kate, please tell your Dear Son that I understand where he is coming from and the he has my condolences and support.

As do you, btw, for the pain you're going through! I dislike the dentist very much!

Nell Dixon said...

Hugs, glad it went ok.

Unknown said...

Glad it went ok and is now over. You've been very, very brave!

Jan Jones said...

So glad it went well, Kate. Now go to sleep again and don't think about work until at least tomorrow!

Kate Hardy said...

India - thank you.

Diane - he did. :o)

Lou - sorry to hear about your traumatic experience. We don't really have 'viewings' over here so that's not so much of an issue: a difficult choice for a parent to make, though. Hugs.

Nell, Shirley and Jan - thank you.