Wednesday, October 10, 2007

the not so scary d*nt*st?

Current work: archaeologist c8/9/10
Listening to: Robert Plant (comfort music I can sing along to at the top of my voice is required right now – the louder the better so it drowns out the fear)
Reading: finished Jane Jackson, Dangerous Waters (absolutely excellent read)

Great guitar lesson yesterday, working on a McCartney piece. The end result was something that I’d have baulked at as 'too difficult' if Jim had presented it to me as written now, but because we built it up together I know what I’m doing and it’s manageable.

Got home to find message from the Scary Dentist to ring them. Gulp. Did so: they wanted a) to make sure I was still going to attend on Thursday [ye-es, but panicking hugely about it] and b) to run through the procedures and make sure I wasn’t worried about anything.

That’s SO sweet.

So even though I’m in severe quake mode right now (this is a big deal, actually – an extraction that couldn’t be completed last time because I was in so much pain and sobbing my eyes out) I feel a lot more reassured about it. I can even cope with the fact that the dentist is male. I think. (Well, I bought myself some more piano scores to help distract myself. DH will be pleased as while I was there I bought him the complete Nick Drake. Sadly, Jon Lord’s ‘Pictured Within’ is not available in a score. I really want to learn how to play ‘Wait a While’ – gorgeous piano, but I’m not quite up to working it out for myself. So I bought a couple of other books to, um, distract myself. Easy-play Bohemian Rhapsody. Heh heh heh.)

Parent-teacher consultation last night was as I expected. Madam's doing well. Less chatting while working (but they're going to move the class around a bit which will solve that one). We also have new strategies to stop her being bored with the books at school.

Then my best local friend dropped in for coffee as her daughter was canoeing with the cubs about 5 minutes away from us. (Yes, that did say cubs. Girls do cubs nowadays.) Nice chat and sorted out our 'early Christmas dinner'.

Today: statement meeting. SENCO (special educational needs co-ordinator) from son's new school will also be there, so that’s good; we can work together to make the transition as easy as possible for him. But it means I’m not going to get much work done today. And tomorrow… well, according to the Scary Dentist’s receptionist, I will probably spend most of tomorrow asleep.

7 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

HUGS on the impending visit.
I know the way around the boring books at school problem for mine was to make sure they did interesting reading at home. We ended up having to do directed reading -- namely they were allowed to read in bed at night IF they read a book of my choosing.
But hugs to your daughter as it is difficult in the early years. It does get better...

Nell Dixon said...

Hugs on the dental work.
My girls were all allowed to be free readers from age 7 as they had gone through the reading scheme and finished all the books. I just have to try and find challenging reads that aren't too old for them which is the trickiest part. My middle girl likes non fiction on things she's interested in like geology and the Aztecs. My youngest is reading Cathy Cassidy which I feel is a bit old but she likes them.

Nell Dixon said...

I think it's Cathy Cassidy - I always get her and Carla Cassidy mixed up. It's Sundae girl and Lucky Star. La is 9 and I feel these are a bit too old but she's read almost all the Jacqueline Wilsons too.

Jan Jones said...

Lots and lots of positive thoughts for tomorrow.

My kids were the same. They took books from home into school!

(((hugs)))

Diane said...

Good luck with both SENCO and the D word.

Anonymous said...

Good luck with the "work".
I can feel my pulse picking up at the thought. By the sounds of it you're going to be numb. Very numb.
That's good - dentist should equal numb.

Kate Hardy said...

Thank you, all, for the support on the dental visit - and also the good suggestions about reading.

Appreciated. :o)