Wednesday, October 03, 2007

gearing up a notch

Current work: archaeologist c3
Listening to: Josh Groban, Awake
Reading: Jane Jackson, Dangerous Waters (excellent read)

Good day yesterday. I’ve finally decided to move accountants, so I rang a couple to see what they could offer me. One seemed nice enough, and am waiting for callback from senior partner later today. Another is coming to see me. (Excellent phone call – the guy is on my wavelength – and I was impressed by the firm’s professionalism. Let’s see what he has to say when we meet – after half term and after my deadline book is in, just before my daughter’s birthday and my meeting in London with my editor and my agent. I have a seriously busy last week of October.)

Also had coffee and chocolate torsades with Caroline and talked Medicals.

Finalised the current PM job, so I can bill it (hooray).

Long phonecall from my dad, and the good news is all his tests are clear. (I thought they would be. But at least it will stop him worrying.)

And then it was school run, Madam’s swimming lesson, and a bit of work on the book in between. I’m having fun and enjoying writing again, and that’s a Very Good Thing.

Plan for today: I believe there’s going to be a postal strike from tomorrow until Tuesday so I need to get all my promised post out NOW (including new contract which I could swear I put on my desk but I’ve mislaid temporarily – my desk is a skip). I also need to write up the PRESMA minutes, make a cake for tonight’s governor meeting, and get my RNA entry in. Also need to decide if it’s worth entering the RITAs or not. I think my voice is probably too British, but I’m open to persuasion. And in between I’m going to write the next chapter or two (having worked out where the heroine lives, I have a wedding to plan – fictional, that is).

4 comments:

Unknown said...

You really should enter the RITAs! Great writing, great characters, great stories and wonderful warm humour have universal appeal...

Michelle Styles said...

I think you should enter. You have a wonderful voice, and there is no accounting for judges or juries.
Why shouldn't you make the finals?

Go for it!

Anonymous said...

If Marion and Barb can win it with their Australian voices then of course an English voice can win it!
And yes, good writing crosses all cultural boundaries.

You know Kate - when I come to England again(2 years and counting)you and me meed to have a talk about your inability to say NO. I do heaps of stuff with my kids school too but I'm learning more and more to draw a line and say, no sorry, I can't. I already do x,y and z. Go ask the 80% of other mothers in this school who do sweet nuthin.
In other words - let someone else make the bloody cake. Or just go buy one (yes, I can hear the horrified gasp from here).
You, girlfriend, are going to have a break down.
Okay, lecture over.

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks for the advice re RITAs. Apparently the RWA have locked people out of their site if they're due for renewal. (Right. Means email and probably a phone call. They don't make it easy for you, do they?)

Amy - looks as if there's an Aussie member of the Slow Down Police, then :o) - Kate Walker's chief policewman. Seriously, I enjoy cooking and I function better when I have lots to juggle. I have bowed out of a few things this year to free up some time, so I'm balanced - promise. Thanks for caring.