Monday, August 20, 2007

a bit fidgety

Current work: pics and notes for new nonfiction; thinking about Med duo outline
Listening to: Athlete, ‘Tourist’
Reading: quite a bit (see below)

I’m a bit fidgety at the moment. Can’t really settle to work (though am doing some nonfiction; am so glad I have the new book to keep me sane). Am full of ideas (some of which are, frankly, mad – and one is just as an excuse for me to buy an antiquarian book for research purposes, though until I know whether it has the right info I can’t justify buying it) but not settling to anything. I think it’s because I’m still waiting to hear from my ed re the last book. With ADHD, I’m really not good at waiting. The best distraction would be to focus myself – preferably on my schedule for the rest of the year (3 fiction and 1 nonfiction by end December, which is very doable in my terms because it means roughly 2,000 words a day). But focusing is easier said than done. Especially during the school holidays (and I'm supposed to be taking the whole of August off anyway). But my agent likes my MX outline, so that’s a good thing as it's due to be started next week.

DH had the bright idea yesterday to go to Felbrigg Hall. A wander round the house and the estate sounded fab; but when we were halfway there the heavens opened – we’re talking about really poor visibility to drive. Kids and I flatly refused to get out of the car in torrential rain. So then DH suggested the beach. And the rain got worse. Finally we headed inland – driving through what’s normally a road but what had become a river…

Today it looks as if the rain has set in, so I’m not sure what we’re doing today. Might see if we can take one or two from my pics list. Or we might just go to a local craft shop for something I need to get that I’ve promised to do (can’t give details here but it’s a joint think that will put a smile on someone’s face).

Read quite a bit over the weekend. Prescription for Happiness by Pat Posner – lovely and heartwarming. One Special Night by Margaret McDonagh – lovely read, gorgeous characters (and I’m not just biased because Cameron was inspired by the same pic as my Charlie Radley – I should add he was Margaret’s and she inspired me!). Make Up to Break Up by – enjoyed it and she behaved herself about the hero’s job whereas I would’ve gone to Fiona Harper town on it and had lots pulled by my ed on grounds of her nerd radar *g*. Sovereign by CJ Sansom (had started it ages back but it got lost on my desk before my big tidy-up) – loved the conspiracy stuff and I do hope he writes another Shardlake book. (I think he shares my view of Henry VIII.) Currently reading Alison Uttley’s ‘A Traveller in Time’ – although it’s a children’s book I was in the mood for something different. I might read some Alan Garner next. Just to shift my focus a bit.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

A Traveller in Time is one of my very favourite books-- as is A Stitch in Time, and particularly The Ghost of Thomas Kempe by Penelope Lively. Really, really excellent stories.

I too am feeling a bit unsettled. The summer holidays are speeding past unbelievably quickly (only 2 weeks to go!) and I really want to enjoy some time with the kids, but am also restless and needing to get back to that work routine. If it would just stop raining it might be easier to relax and switch off!!

Anonymous said...

Raining here too at last!!! 53mls two nights ago and drizzling today with rain supposed to be getting harder.
Finding it hard to get into rewrites after the high of the Oz conference....

Anonymous said...

Woohooo! Finally worked out how to get my dang name on the post!!!

Kate Hardy said...

India - I love those, too. Hope you're feeling more settled today. Know what you mean about the rain... Bet it'll be 'summer' again the day the kids go back.

Amy, 53mm is a lot! Blimey. Mind you, you need it. Hugs on the rewrites. I recommend bribing yourself with chocolate as you're much thinner than I am... :o)

Anonymous said...

Oh and we've had more Kate... another 15 with it still falling!!!!!!

Chocolate I dont need - what with the conference and best friend staying straight after I got back -its been carb city for 2 weeks. Plus I still haven't lost the weight I put on this time last year in Italy and at RNA!!!

I tell ya Kate - our bodies are such efficient things. We're a rare breed. Famine resistant....