Tuesday, June 24, 2008

what would you pick?

Current work: admin
Listening to: Coldplay, Viva la Vida (is growing on me)
Reading: various research stuff

I can see the surface of my desk, now. After a month (or so) of chaos, this feels Very Weird Indeed. Am still full of lurgy, and getting VERY fed up with it. It’s morphed to another sore throat and cough (grr), so I’m on the honey and lemon. It'll go.

Am also at that nice planning stage: I’m almost out of promotional pens. I’m going for the same make of pen as I used the previous two times (black ink, and they last for ages) but I’m thinking about using a different colour barrel. In the past I’ve used violet or dark red frosted pens with a matte silver print. But my supplier sadly had to give up the business due to ill health, so am going direct to the manufacturer this time. Now, do I go for the ‘eco’ pen (which is 96% recycled, black barrel and coloured clip, not sure whether the print colour has to match the clip), or do I go for the same as last time, or do I go for the bright pink ones? (They’re sending samples so I can make a more informed choice. So far the vote is for eco from son, pink from daughter, and ‘you’re not serious about pink, are you?’ from DH.)

But the thing is… I write romantic fiction. And pink is the colour traditionally associated with romance. Plus it’s an eye-catching colour so people are more likely to pick them up at promo dos – of which I have a few coming up, give that I’m Norfolk’s Writer-in-Residence for the Year of Reading 2008. And my target market for fiction is largely – if not completely – female.

So this is where I ask you, dear reader: which ones do you like?

The Icy pens are here http://www.senatorsuperhit.co.uk/printed_promotional_pens/icy.htm (click on the coloured pen to see a larger pic – the violet and dark red are both darker than they seem on the screen, but then again everyone’s browser is different)

The Eco pens are here http://www.senatorsuperhit.co.uk/printed_promotional_pens/eco.htm (I like the pink clip – but not sure about how well pink print will show on the barrel: the light blue, green or lime green appear to show up better on screen, but then again computer all see things differently)

10 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm it is a toughie. I like the eco pen but that could be because the black would co-ordinate with my life. And I can attest to how well those pens last, the last Kate Hardy pen I had went on for ages!

Nell Dixon said...

I vote for the icy pen but in violet - trust me to be awkward lol

Anonymous said...

Normally I would say pink pink and more pink but the eco pens look really cool! and I think the pink on black would look pretty smart. You have sent me your pens in the past for a giveaway and I love them...was so sad when they finally ran out! Good luck choosing!

Margaret McDonagh said...

First choice is for Eco black/purple and second choice is for the same as you had before in purple - they are fab to write with and last ages.

Get well soon.

Love,
Mags xx

Anonymous said...

Oh WOW it has got to be the eco black with pink!
I use your pens for work all the time and that would look fab in my pocket!

Anonymous said...

I vote the eco pen in pink. Though for myself, I would go with the lime green. :-)

Natalie Anderson said...

i confess i like the pink but i SHOULD like the eco - actually i DO like the eco - in pink... so i am no help whatsoever...
have you seen those banner pens?? you could write a short story on one of those....

Jane said...

I like the icy in blue.

Anonymous said...

Eco in black and red is my choice

Jan Jones said...

I quite like the eco with dark red. But I also love your icy red and purple ones. I think the pink may be just a little too pink... (and also, the white printing on it looks wrong - dunno why)

(Oh, and I know why you are out of pens now, and I thank you hugely!)