Wednesday, November 14, 2007

lucky for some/I love my publisher

Current work: fiction and nonfiction
Listening to: Genesis, Wind & Wuthering

There are many superstitions about the 13th. Yesterday, it was a super day for me. Guitar in the morning (did an arrangement of ‘Every Breath You Take’, which is just lovely on classical guitar); bit of work on the book; school run (saw a double rainbow as I left – then hit the hailstorm and it was bucketing down in the playground); madam’s swimming lesson; and then the Jarrold's booksigning.

I had a wonderful time. It was lovely to meet Neil Storer and Mark Cocker; and Mike, the head of the books department, really looked after us. Any excuse to talk history *g * - and it’s quite a confidence boost, walking into a book department with a big pile of your books on the table. (Mine are in the middle.)


Not to mention the big placard advertising it…

And then this morning I had a delivery of a case of wine from my publisher to say thanks for my help on a publicity campaign. (I wasn’t expecting it, so it was even nicer. It’s a cause close to my heart so I didn’t mind in the least talking to various radio presenters and talking about the medical bits as well as about the company and romance in general – as far as I’m concerned, the more publicity for Breast Cancer Awareness, the better.)

And I have a gorgeous cover for the second edition of How To Research Local History (note to self: sort the text this weekend. Problem is, in the second edition you’re meant to address issues that cropped up in reviews. My reviews were all really positive. So I need to think how else I can improve it… which I guess means adding pictures).

Life is pretty good on Planet Kate at the moment…

6 comments:

Diane said...

Enjoy the moment.

Melissa Amateis said...

Sounds like a lovely day!

Danica Favorite said...

Definitely sounds like a good day!

Diane said...

How close is this bird flu?

Ray-Anne said...

Sounds like you had an excellent and positive experience.
Brilliant!

Kate Hardy said...

Diane - am enjoying the moment.

Melissa, Dream - thanks, it was.

Diane - it's about 25 miles away from us (so add another 5-15 miles for the farms), and it's a different firm, but it's still bad for the industry as a whole. Norfolk has been hit by so much over the last decade - swine fever, rhizomania (that's sugar beet), F&M ... and the government just isn't equipped to deal with rural issues effectively.

Ray-anne - absolutely!