Tuesday, September 21, 2010

National Alzheimer’s Day

Today is National Alzheimer’s Day. Although my dad’s form of dementia is slightly different, I’m still pleased that the condition is getting a bit of publicity and hopefully people will become more aware of dementia.

As we’re living longer and have an ageing population, I think that in the future more and more people are going to find their lives touched by it. And it’s important to talk about it and share coping strategies, because frankly having a parent with dementia can be absolutely heartbreaking at times and talking to someone who’s been there can really, really help you cope.

Fitting, too, that today is visit day. Actually, I’m due a rough one – but, hey. I had two nice ones on the trot, and that’s pretty good going. And I do at least have my guitar lesson this morning to chill me out first.

3 comments:

Lacey Devlin said...

I think it's really great that they have days like National Alzheimer's Day to create awareness. I wish you a nice visit today even if you are due a rough one.

Caroline said...

Hope you have a good visit today Kate and thanks for pointing out it's NAD. Caroline x

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey and Caroline - I hope it's going to make people think more and maybe do something to help.

And the visit... not the best, but far from being the worst. Can live with that :)