Monday, September 27, 2010

back from being awol

Current work: Capri medical romance
Listening to: Daughtry
Reading: next on TBR

Apols for going AWOL, last week (and sorry for worrying people - I've appreciated the emails). I was trying to sort out some sticky stuff – not blogging about it but I’m beginning to feel like Macbeth. (As in ‘shall sleep no more’; I haven’t committed regicide! I just don't sleep well when I'm worrying.)

As I’m taking a sabbatical from nonfic, this year, I don’t even have my safety-valve of research. So I took comfort in – wait for it – doing my accounts. Yes, really. This is where I’m glad I did let things slip last year and did the shoebox method – which a lot of authors I know do – instead of updating it every week and staying on top of things. Sorting out receipts and indexing them is incredibly soothing. (OK, so we all know I’m weird. My accountant thought it was hilarious, too.)

Weekend was nice. Saturday was a bit lazy (aka finishing off my accounts), and on Sunday DH went to Silverstone to see the bike racing and the kids and I went into town, had lunch in M&S and then bought the Simpsons version of Monopoly. We played all afternoon (actually managed to prise son off the X-box, and it was lovely to spend time together). As usual, tycoon daughter beat us all; she bought the equivalent of Park Lane and Mayfair, and stuck hotels on them. The bank-and-credit-card contraption does make playing easier, with no money cluttering up surfaces, but I was too sleep-deprived to work out how we could continue to use the ‘Free Parking’ rule (where all fines go in the middle rather than to the bank, and if you land on Free Parking you scoop the proceeds). D’oh. Obvious, this morning: sticky note and pen job :o)

I’m also doing a talk at daughter’s school for Book Week, next week. She’s asked me to bring in some of my foreign editions, as she thinks everyone would be really interested to see books in different alphabets. Should be fun, as it’s a nice school and the kids are really responsive.

And I’m really hoping that this week is much quieter than last.

4 comments:

Morton S Gray said...

What age are the children? Do you need to censor some of your books and covers? Lol. Mx

Kate Hardy said...

LOL, Morton! They're Y5 (9-10), so I'm reading from the nonfic - it's fine for their age group. And they won't be able to decipher the alphabets of the other books, let alone the words - but I think they'll love learning that not all cultures read a book in the same direction :o)

Unknown said...

I find doing accounts quite soothing too. Perhaps anything mundane has the same effect.

Sending hugs. Hope you have a much better week!

Jan Jones said...

Hope so too, hon. (((hugs)))