Wednesday, September 08, 2010

falling off a cliff...

Current work: Medical romance (Capri/Sorrento)
Listening to: Daughtry, Leave This Town (I really, REALLY like this album)
Reading: Abby Green, The Virgin’s Secret (enjoyed this)

Falling off a cliff? Not me, personally. But when I was going to do my nice, sensible meeting of the hero and heroine at the beginning of my book (for an agreed outline, arrgh), my heroine took me to one side and whispered in my ear that she had a much better idea.

Not quite sure how my editor’s going to take it, but hey. It works for me, too.

My heroine’s not falling off a cliff, exactly, but I need a song. (Not going to use the lyrics, obviously, for copyright reasons, but you are allowed to mention song titles.) This song has to unfreeze someone who’s terrified. So:
  • it has to be uplifting
  • it has to be well known (otherwise the copyeditor will take it out for being “popular culture and dating the book” – or I would’ve used Daughtry’s “What About Now” because I love, love, LOVE this song – and hey, Westlife covered it, so does that make it classic? Umm, better not answer that)
  • it has to be easy to sing (or I would’ve gone for Queen’s “Don’t Stop Me Now”).

OK, so medic humour would dictate something like Tom Petty’s “Free Falling” (or, as one of my writing mates suggested, anything by Cliff Richard. Geddit? LOL, I’m so going to have a running gag on this subject. Unless my ed makes me take all this out, which I’m hoping she won’t, because you need a little light stuff to balance the deep emotional stuff). But my hero is being nice and not doing something like “I Believe I Can Fly” (did I mention that my writing mates took this as an excuse to be sick puppies? Probably my fault for suggesting the Tom Petty song).
Right now, I’m torn between Katrina and the Waves’ “Walking on Sunshine” and Fleetwood Mac’s “Don’t Stop”.

But does anyone have any better suggestions?

5 comments:

Ros said...

Love Lifts Us Up Where We Belong?

Caroline said...

Blimy I can't think of anything. My minds gone blank. Caroline x

Nell Dixon said...

Always look on the bright side of life - Monty Python - it would have the shock and humour value to exasperate your heroine into unfreezing

Francine Howarth said...

Hi,

Well, if you want Medic Humour, my hubby would just as likely start singing *The Time of My Life*.

Timeless classic!

Check out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WpmILPAcRQo&feature=related


My God the things that get said in theatre - sheesh, you don't wanna know.
best
F

Jan Jones said...

There's something wrong with Bridge Over Troubled Water?