Thursday, September 20, 2007

and… sold!

Current work: was a bad puppy yesterday doing research; today is definitely PM work and starting new Modern Heat. I am not, repeat not, going to touch Norwich HVV or Norfolk SSS...
Listening to: Nicola Hall, ‘Caprice’ (Paganini)
Reading: Jane Jackson, Dangerous Waters

Excellent news yesterday from my wonderful ed – she read the revised book the second it landed in her inbox and absolutely loved it, then emailed me to tell me so. She particularly likes my Catalan hero – ‘just adorable’ and ‘fantastic’. Excellent. I might also add that this is the book with dance scene (think Antonio Banderas demonstrating the tango in ‘Take the Lead’) and the fencing scene (think Antonio in his ‘Zorro’ role). Should be getting the title some time this week.

So that’s my 31st M&B accepted. Am very pleased. (And – for the benefit of the crows, who have their beady eyes on my archaeologist – I still haven’t celebrated the 5th anniversary of my first M&B on the shelves.)

Was incredibly bad yesterday and did some research on the book with the furthest-away deadline (aka Norfolk SSS) instead of what I should’ve been doing. Discovered something that might just have to push its way into Norwich: Heroes, Villains and Victims. (Tudor politics are rather interesting… especially when we’re talking magic and treasure and… I have to do it, don’t I? But what do I replace? Probably the chapter on the boxers, as it’s hard to get the info I want.) I am becoming seriously addicted to the digitised books on Google. But – there’s always a but – seeing it on screen is NOT the same as handling Victorian paper with coloured plates … so I don’t regret my (expensive) purchases of last year AT ALL. And the ‘snippet’ views drive me insane. Especially if I can’t locate a physical copy of said book.

To do today:



  • charge phone

  • charge PDA

  • charge camera battery

  • copy files from PC to SD card for PDA usage on train

  • print out rough draft of new Med duo outline for scribbling on train

  • print out directions to Oriental Club and photocopy relevant page from London A-Z to get me from Piccadilly to Stratford Place so I don’t have to lug the whole book on the train

  • go to post office

  • go to cashpoint

  • buy lots of tissues and some paracetamol

  • send form to local authority re son’s next school (actually that one’s #1 on the list)

  • write ‘Dear Reader’ letter for Sold to the Highest Bidder (that’s #2 on the list… and also get someone else to email it to my ed because their email server is being stroppy with my ISP for some reason).

Business as usual, then.

2 comments:

Ray-Anne said...

Wow- I can't believe the speed that book turned around with your editor! How fantastic is that?
Only Problem?
It makes me feel like a slug in comparison!
Must work faster, must work faster..
Have a fab time and hope the cold does not slow you down too much..as if!
LOL Ray-Anne
PS. One of the storylines I have pitched to HMB is set in a Salsa Dancing Class, so...Antonio may have a second chance to tango.

Kate Hardy said...

It is indeed fantastic - but to make you feel better, I delivered that book in August. Then my ed went to the RWA conference in Australia... and gave me the revisions on her return, 3 weeks later. And then she went on holiday... so actually, it wasn't that fast a turnaround overall :o)

Don't worry about being a slug. Write the way that suits YOU - that way you'll probably end up writing faster because you'll be spending the time writing rather than worrying.

It's a bit like the planner/pantster debate (which is actually a continuum - they're the two extremes). And remember that some books flow better than others - ebb and flow, let it grow. (And yes, I have been listening to David Gilmour *g*)