Tuesday, September 11, 2007

almost back in routine

Current work: Med revisions/new MH book
Listening to: David Gilmour (didn't get round to it yesterday - the new Athlete album is good)
Reading: nonfiction (research books)

Back to piano yesterday. Still doing the Katie Melua piece (though Frank is pleased with my progress, and I sight-read the bass clef on the second half really well – a bit slowly because some of it’s below the bottom line of the stave, but I felt I’d achieved something).

So what did I do yesterday?
  • Finished off my PM job
  • Sorted my admin
  • Went to post office
  • Had a chat with my proofreader (need to talk to my desk editor today about the next batch and schedules)
  • Sent off the newspaper cuttings
  • Had a nice email from my agent about THAT review (I really do have this out of proportion, but if someone catches you at a vulnerable moment… these things HURT, which is why I have a policy of not saying anything about something I’ve read/heard/seen unless I can say something nice – there’s enough nasty stuff in life)
  • Went to governor meeting (went well - am still chairing Curriculum committee for my last year at the school)
  • Had a nice chat with my dad (who sounded the perkiest I’ve heard him for AGES).

Writing… um. Added a couple of thousand words to the nonfiction (which has a December deadline) and today I need to sort out my library research needs for tomorrow (it's an enforced day because of the car service). But most importantly I need to get those revisions sorted and firm up the new outline so I can start writing the new book. And of course I have guitar this morning and I want to play the Ferrer reasonably well so I can talk Jim into letting me have something new.

Some of my research books arrived yesterday – two on Roman food and cooking. (No, I’m not going to start poaching on Michelle’s area – this is contemporary – all to do with my heroine’s very cool job. If I didn’t have the job I do now, I’d love to be a museum curator or an archivist.)

Finally - please go and see Kate Walker and give her a hug. She needs it right now.

No comments: