Monday, May 24, 2010

the sea, the sea

Current work: medical continuity
Listening to: Coldplay, X&Y (had forgotten what a good album this was)
Reading: Michelle Styles, Compromising Miss Milton (enjoying very much – very feisty heroine, and the hero is intriguing)

When you’re writing a book set at the seaside, it’s always a good idea to remind yourself what the sea sounds and feels like. Even if it’s the wrong season (my book is set in winter, and this weekend has been most decidedly summer!). Strictly speaking, I should’ve been glued to my desk. But. Madam had a birthday party to go to (and if I’d dropped her off and come straight home, I would then have had to go back to find a parking space, so it wasn’t worth it – took DH shopping for his birthday pressies instead). And then DH announced we were having a family day at the beach.

We ended up at Cromer, where we went for a walk on the pier.
And then we went for a walk under the pier.
And we saw some sea-foam on the beach. (I assume it's a mix of salt and sand that makes it hold its shape, but if anyone would like to enlighten me - I'm intrigued.)

DH found a crab on its back, and rescued it.
And I chilled out and listened to the waves rumbling on to the shore.

On Sunday, we had our best family and my best friend up for a barbecue to celebrate son’s birthday. Too hot to drink wine so we were all on sparkling mineral water with a slice of lime and lots of ice. I made the usual cookies. And of course there was the important thing:
Plan for today: lots and lots and lots of work…

10 comments:

Michela said...

Amazing photos – Kate!
They capture the essence and the beauty of the sea (I love slight sea!).

Gee - the cake looks scrumptious! Chocolate is one of those things that makes you feel better only looking at it – a real delight for eyes. Are the decorations around made of coconut?

By the way… you’re a very good connoisseur of music :)
Take care,
M x

Nell Dixon said...

I love the sea especially in late Autumn and early Spring

Jan Jones said...

Looks good enough to eat :)

I assumed they were white-chocolate scrolls around the outside, no?

Lovely pics of the sea. Looking fwd to the book!

Lacey Devlin said...

Wow is that a cake or what!

Nicola Cornick said...

Lovely lovely pictures of the sea! And how perfect to be there on such a beautiful weekend.

Kate Hardy said...

Michela - glad you enjoyed the photos.

Have to confess, it was a bought cake - and the decorations are chocolate curls (white and dark).

Thanks for the compliment re music! I have a fairly diverse taste and a LOT of CDs...

Kate Hardy said...

Nell - my favourite is the sea at the beginning of winter. You can't beat the north sea and a howling wind! But this weekend was nice and gentle :)

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - actually, I didn't have any because it's really, really rich and I'm not a huge fan of chocolate cake. (Weird, I know. Love chocolate, love cake, love ice cream - but not that into chocolate cake and loathe chocolate ice cream.)

And yup, spot on re the choc curls.

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - he was pleased with it ;o)

Kate Hardy said...

Nicola - it was lovely, just wandering round (and consuming too much ice cream).