Monday, February 07, 2011

what’s in a name?

Current work: playing with outlines/ a bit of research
Listening to: Def Leppard
Reading: Louise Allen, Practical Widow to Passionate Mistress (Louise never disappoints. Good read.)

I’m over at the Harlequin Medical authors’ group blog today, talking about names. And I learned something about my grandmothers while writing the blog. If you want to know what – and get a link to some fabulous material for research – go over to e-Harlequin.

Had a lovely lunch out with Kate on Friday (thank you, Kate – and a special thanks for listening to me rant about the latest re the FC). On Sunday, went with my stepmum to the nursing home to give the donations from Dad’s memorial service. We went for coffee afterwards, in the café where I used to take Dad for lunch, which brought back some nice memories but also made me a bit sad. I do miss taking him out to lunch and talking about music. I even miss him ringing me up to play his latest purchase over the phone (yes, this was pre-dementia – he’s always been a bit eccentric); and when I was in town with DH on Saturday morning I spied a couple of CDs that Dad would really have loved, which put a lump in my throat because normally at this time of year I’d be finding last-minute extras for his birthday. Actually, I didn’t need a birthday for an excuse. I loved taking him something I’d found and seeing his face light up because it was a favourite he hadn’t heard in years.

I think I’m going to have to send some random pressies to people to cheer myself up. That, or open a parcel on my desk that I suspect contains goodies from Hotel Chocolat…

5 comments:

Unknown said...

You could send me a pressie. I have no problem with that :P

Unknown said...

Sending lots of hugs. It's so hard to cope with all the reminders, isn't it?

Glad you had a lovely lunch with Kate though.

Caroline said...

hugs Kate. Caroline x

Lacey Devlin said...

*HUGS* I hope you opened that parcel from Hotel Chocolat! I don't know how you managed to resist so long :)

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, guys. Everything's a bit up and down at the moment - I guess because the FC means I haven't had the headspace to grieve properly for Dad, so it's coming out in little bits. The hugs are appreciated xxx