Thursday, February 25, 2010

The joys of stained glass

Current work: Medical and nonfic
Listening to: Kathryn Williams
Reading: Tess Gerritsen, The Bone Garden (enjoying very much)

On the way home on Sunday, I realised that we were going to be passing Saxlingham Nethergate. Where they just so happen to have some of the oldest figurative stained glass in Norfolk (dating from before 1250). Except, last time we went, it was being restored. Given that I was still really disappointed about not getting a pic of the Maldon battlefield site and the causeway head-on, DH was indulgent and made a quick diversion. And they were beautifully restored – definitely worth the visit.

And now, dear reader, I crave a teensy bit of indulgence from you, because I'm going to share. Here are the four roundels.

The first (top left in the window in situ) is St John and St James.


Beneath that is the martyrdom of St Edmund - tied to the tree and being shot by a Danish archer.



The third (top right in situ) is the beheading of an unknown saint

Beneath that is St Edmund offering up his arrows. (You can normally tell Edmund - who's generally an East Anglian saint - by the arrows or a wolf's head. The story of Edmund just so happens to be in 'Suffolk Ghosts and Legends', if you want the details.)


Oh, and I couldn’t resist this one – St Jerome in his red Cardinal’s hat. (This is 15th century glass. But it's the hat I like.)



Plan for today: crack on with book(s).

10 comments:

Jan Jones said...

I like the red hat too! Also the creamy colour of his clothes.

Lacey Devlin said...

Aren't they amazing? Restoring stained glass windows sounds like a dangerous profession to me

Unknown said...

Wow, great photos. I love St Jerome's hat - brilliant!

Carol Townend said...

I like the hat too, but poor St Edmund...
Glad you got to see the windows though!

Beyond the RockZ said...

Wonderful window shots!

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - I kenw you'd enjoy it :)

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - funny you should say that. Guess what the heroine of my Venice book does for a living???

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - that glass was such a pleasure to see. Even on a dull day, the colours were stunning.

Kate Hardy said...

Carol - yes indeedy, poor St Edmund!

Kate Hardy said...

Beyond the RockZ - nice to see you here, and you have some gorgeous pics on your blog. (Not to mention the fact you've just given me a lightbulb - thank you.)