Tuesday, October 13, 2009

fabulous review

Current work: Modern Heat
Listening to: various French piano music
Reading: next on TBR

I have to admit to being slightly nervous about my Northern Lights book. According to my ed, Presents readers like, um, hot climates.

And there I was, planning to set my book in Norway. In the winter. Hot? Er...

Now, I happen to think that cold can be utterly glamorous. Ice hotel, Northern Lights, amazing whirlpools… so I persuaded her into letting me do it. Oh, and the reindeer. The deal was that I was allowed ONE. I was a bad girl and sneaked a few in to the ice hotel, where they couldn’t be chipped out. (Sculptures. Ha. Author being too clever for her own good.) And then, when I revised it and decided the wedding was going in, four more sneaked in. (If you’re going to get married in the snow, then surely you have to go by sleigh – drawn by reindeer…)

But as publication day drew near, I had a teensy panic. Supposing readers hated it? And supposing I went too far with the art stuff? And it was a bit dark in places (I made myself cry). Oh, yes, and there’s this thing I have about Scandinavian jewellery. (OK, so Pandora is Danish, but hey, my great-grandmother was Danish – she was a midwife – so that counts as heritage, yes? And maybe explains why I’ve always been so drawn to the north… as long as I don’t have to drive in snow.)

The big question was: had I written a turkey book?

Well, this is the first review, courtesy of lovely Julie at Cataromance. She gave it four and a half stars.

And this is some of what she said…

I love Kate Hardy’s books and Temporary Boss, Permanent Mistress is certainly one of this award-winning author’s best romances for Mills and Boon! Kate Hardy not only manages to recreate the beautiful Norwegian landscape in this book, but she has also created two wonderfully humane characters that just leap off the page and capture the reader’s imagination instantly. With a believable conflict, poignant drama, powerful emotional depth and enchanting romance, Temporary Boss, Permanent Mistress is yet another terrific romantic tale from the pen of this talented award-winning author! Don’t miss it!

You can read the rest here. I’m thrilled to bits. Thank you, Julie. You've made my week.

12 comments:

Nell Dixon said...

Sounds great!

Unknown said...

Good for you and what a wonderful review.

You know the Northern Lights are a very popular vacation for some. Where I work we sell a ton of trips to Fairbanks, Alaska out to Chena Hot Springs where there is a Ice Palace, warm spring pools, flights over the Artic Circle, dog sled rides and even an ice sculpture competition. So I can completely visualize a romantic love story and scene.

Unknown said...

Congrats on such a terrific review!

Reindeer, snow, the Northern Lights - all very romantic.

Caroline said...

Congrats on the review for Temporary Boss, Permanent Mistress. It was well deserved! I thought it was a great read, and don't worry about it not being in a "hot" climate. The Northern Lights, the ice hotel, and the wonderful scenery, and all things "icy" is as evocative and exciting as a hot desert setting IMHO. Take care. Caroline x

Anonymous said...

I've never read one of these before but the cover intrigued me so I had to read a sample. Then I was intrigued even more. Now I must add this to my list.

BTW, I discovered this book and you from twitter - guess it's working. :)

Lacey Devlin said...

Of course you haven't written a turkey book! I for one am completely jealous of the heroine. Where's my reindeer driven sleigh?

Kate Hardy said...

Nell - thank you.

Kate Hardy said...

Marilyn - thank you. It's my dream vacation, too - I'm hoping to go in 2011-13, which is meant to be when the solar flare activity's at its highest. Hmm, didn't think of Alaska (probably because it's a bit further away!), so thank you for that.

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - thank you.

Kate Hardy said...

Caroline - thank you very much!

Kate Hardy said...

Kathy - nice to see you here. Wow, Twitter... have to admit, that'd be through Harlequin or the PHS. (I'd be terrible and spend the whole DAY on Twitter!) Hope you enjoy it.

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - thanks :o)