Friday, February 06, 2009

post-book blues

Current work: Just finished the Modern Heat
Listening to: Radiohead (because it really, really suits my mood – bless you, Thom Yorke, for writing such perfect misery music)
Reading: next on TBR pile

The Norway book is done and dusted… well, so far. It’s on my editor’s desk now. I’ve loved every second of writing it, and I always hate saying goodbye to my characters, so I’m in post-book grump. (Yeah, I know the remedy. Start writing the next one – #39: blimey, that's come round fast – or the nonfic that’s due next month.)

It’s not helped by a couple of personal worries (not blogging about them here), panicking about snow next week (obsessive checking of the BBC weather forecast for here and London, anyone?), and a couple of people being a bit mean to me (unexpected and upsetting – so have learned in future to be polite, smile, and stay very quiet).

But hey. Glass half full. I bought a large box of Lindor balls on the way home and they are chilling nicely in the fridge for me, with a note on them saying: ‘These are Mum’s and she has PMT.’ (Diet buddies, don’t read that line…)

Busy weekend lined up. Which means a mad to-do list. As in:

Today: book taxi for Monday, unearth suitcase, check I have spare tights, defuzz legs, update website, tidy desk, do shopping list for tomorrow (otherwise will come home without stuff).

Tomorrow: into town to sort out last-minute purchases (under-eye concealer being the main one, but blue nail varnish comes a close second – and possibly more tights, depending on results of today’s to-do list), back up all computer files ready to take computer in to tecchy guys on Weds (they’re transferring data and making my new PC ready to run), check I have all necessary phone numbers, deposit cheque, withdraw enough cash to pay taxi on Monday and get me round London, think about which book to take on train.

Sunday: up early to bake for the party, entertain all day, clear up, pack all bar posh clothes which I’ll do on Monday, make sure I have train ticket and awards ticket ready in handbag (mm, need to tidy handbag and check have spare hearing aid batteries with me), charge camera battery and phone battery, make sure all homework done etc, make sure kids have stuff ready to go.

Monday: school run, last-minute checks and probably printing out stuff for work on the train (ooh yes, logic problems magazine – add to shopping list for tomorrow), do last bit of packing. Check that my Male On Monday slot has loaded on the PHS (anyone care to guess who that might be?). Catch taxi, train, tube, visit Hunterian Museum (if it is not snowing), meet best friend, eat lots, sleep badly. The latter is not because Fi’s spare room is uncomfy – far from it. I just don’t sleep well away from DH, sad puppy that I am; and, despite the bravado, I’m as nervous as hell about Tuesday (even though I know I’m not going to have to get up on that stage and speak, so I should just be able to relax).

But, to end on a nice note, here’s the cover for the second in my Modern Heat ‘To Tame a Playboy’ duo. Just lovely.

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Lindor balls. Yum. Now I'm going to have to get myself some. Tsk. It's all your fault.

Tuesday will be fine, you know it. You'll enjoy Every Single Moment!

Nell Dixon said...

Enjoy the trip - have a glass of wine for me.

Donna Alward said...

Kate....hugs hugs and big stick out of tongues at big fat meanies.

Is this seriously going to be number 39? THIRTY NINE?

I feel so inadequate.

I think you should just relax and enjoy the few days and hug lots of friends. You will do a lovely job. :-)

Jan Jones said...

Tell you what, hon. While you're out shopping get me a spare pair of tights too (large, please) plus under-eye concealer (also large) plus a Male for Monday.

In return I'll hold your hand on Tuesday, lend you my camera and stop you eating too many Lindor balls.

Is that fair?

Liz Fielding said...

Lindor balls, mmm. I have just been very bad with Maltesers :)

What Donna said re meanies. And have an ab fab time next week.

Romance, Rumours and Rogues said...

Seriously yummy cover yet again :)

Please pass one of those Lindors...

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - they are nice, aren't they? Thanks for the reassurance.

Kate Hardy said...

Nell - thank you, and I will!

Kate Hardy said...

Donna - thanks for the hugs. Yep, this is #39. (And you're not inadequate at all.)

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - LOL - look forward to seeing you on Tuesday.

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - am also bad with Maltesers... :o)

Thanks for the hug.

Kate Hardy said...

Nic - of course you can share my chocolate stash :) Are we shelfmates in May as well as March?