Monday, February 23, 2009

the best sort of weekend

Current work: Revisions
Listening to: Bach
Reading: been reading a lot over the last few days, actually. Karina Bliss’s ‘Mr Irresistible’ (interesting location); Sylvia Andrew’s ‘Miss Winbolt and the Fortune Hunter’ (enjoyed v much); Louise Allen’s ‘The Earl’s Intended Wife’ (great fun and I particularly liked the heroine); Kate Walker’s ‘Cordero’s Forced Bride’ (one of Kate’s trademark intense, dramatic reads); and currently reading Trisha Ashley’s ‘A Winter’s Tale’, which I’m really enjoying.

On Friday, we went to the sea – one of those days where you could hardly see where the sea ended and the sky began.



The misty shots below were on full zoom; visibility was actually pretty good. (And yes, these are indeed the groynes where my mate Steve Denby took that fab pic 'Beachcombers'.)







I was quite pleased with my pics of the ‘dark fallow waves’ (name that quote *g* - no, I promise, I’ll spare you the Old English poetry today and the explanation of the Anglo-Saxon view of colour). I would've liked to try this on a longer exposure. (Am almost talking myself into a proper SLR... except they're heavy and I'm lazy.)


There was a bit of churchcrawling involved. This fish is part of what was once a St Christopher from the church at Oulton. (It's very grainy and I'm not pleased with it at all, but I like the expression on the face of the fish.)



And then on Saturday morning the children’s godmothers arrived for our postponed ‘early Christmas’. We ate a lot. Played lots and lots of board games (Madam rather wished she hadn’t suggested Monopoly when the game went on for most of the afternoon). Saw a fab sunset.

Had a posh dinner (roasted asparagus wrapped in prosciutto with bleu d’Auvergne; coq au vin with baked sweet potatoes and lots of steamed veg; strawberry cheesecake); talked a lot; and played more board games. (The wine consumption had better not be mentioned...)

Sunday was more board games, and a walk down to the river after lunch.

Good friends, good food and a good chat. Can’t get better than that.

Plans for today: kids back to school, DH back to work, and I'm back to revisions.

10 comments:

Jan Jones said...

"..dark, fallow waves..." - love the description.

Glad you had a good late-pre-xmas!

Anonymous said...

Wow - that sunset is just beautiful!

Nell Dixon said...

Lovely pictures of the sea.

Anonymous said...

Dinner sounds great! I think we'll all come to yours for tea.
Lovely pictures of the sea, too.

P.S. Think of me, Kate. I've got the builders in for the next five weeks!

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - it's The Wanderer - the text is at http://www.anglo-saxons.net/hwaet/?do=get&type=text&id=Wdr (but the parallel translation there isn't quite the same as mine - if I'm too lazy to do it myself, I'd read the translations by Richad Hamer or Sid Bradley)

We had a fabulous late pre-Christmas, thanks! (No crackers, though. I slipped up, there...)

Kate Hardy said...

Katie - I'm very lucky as my garden faces north-west - which oddly means that we get sun all afternoon, beautiful sunsets, and good views of comets. (There's one due this week...)

Kate Hardy said...

Nell - Cromer's lovely - Swinburne described it as "an esplanade-y sort of place" (rats, forgot that one when I should've remembered it - must see if I can squeeze it into the proofs).

Have to admit that I prefer going just slightly north, up to Brancaster or Wells. But the North Norfolk coast in general is just wonderful.

Kate Hardy said...

Nicolette - now you know why I have a weight problem *g* - if you lived slightly nearer me, I'd say come and have tea at ours, because with builders in for five weeks... I remember that chaos well, so you have my utter sympathy! (It's worth it in the end. Remind yourself of that the week before they're due to finish, which is the toughest point.)

Unknown said...

beautiful pics.

Diane said...

My sea was way too far away yesterday, but yours looks good.