Friday, February 27, 2009

being a bad girl

Current work: Revisions
Listening to: Genesis, Selling England by the Pound (Firth of Fifth is one of my favourite Genesis tracks. The piano, the guitar... just brilliant)
Reading: next on TBR pile

I have been slightly bad this week. Well. I had an Amazon voucher to use. And birthday money. And as a lot of these are old, they were on sale. And there is this whole concept of refilling the well (which seems to be working, because I have words bouncing around in my head - will be interesting to see what happens with this particular one as it could go one of two ways. Or maybe I could be uber-clever and combine both). So this week I’ve been merrily ordering:
  • Music, for inspiration – Gary Allen, Brad Paisley and The Calling;
  • Films, also for inspiration - Emma, Sense and Sensibility (I’m not a Janeite, but every ten years or so I make an effort to see if I’ve grown up enough to appreciate Jane Austen. I did enjoy Northanger Abbey when I was... all right, I admit, younger than my daughter – was precocious reader, OK? – but I utterly loathed Mansfield Park, which was a set text in my first year at uni. I much, much prefer George Eliot. However. I’m about five years late with my latest ‘have I grown up, yet?’ experiment, so have decided to cheat and go for Emma Thompson’s film versions, which may prod me into reading); Grease (because I think my daughter will love it); and Consuming Passions (DH cracked up and accused me of ordering it simply because it features my book cover – well, of course! I am still overexcited about that, and it deserved a screamer);
  • Books, because they are food for the soul - The Glassblower of Murano (am planning a Venice book, so this will be background research of sorts; but also I couldn’t resist the title); Nicola Cornick’s new one, Unmasked (because she is one of my absolute favourite historical authors as well as a good friend – this will be SUCH a treat, so I might use it as a carrot to finish the new Med. Once I’ve done my revisions); Sophia’s Secret (which was shortlisted for the Romantic Novel of the Year; I really liked Susanna Kearsley’s Shadowy Horses, I enjoy timeslip novels, and she’s a very nice woman too, so am looking forward to that); and Katie Fforde’s Wedding Season (because Katie writes sparkly, witty dialogue that makes me laugh out loud for the right reason.She’s a v nice woman too – I have this theory that authors are like their books, and Katie is warm and funny).

There is a new Radley picture bag out this week. (Jo, I spotted it before you emailed me. LOL.) And it’s cute. And I happen to know that Sonkai have a new stock of Murano glass beads. However. I think I’ve been bad enough this week. Am going to see Dad this morning: hopefully he’ll have a better day today than yesterday, though he’s not well enough to go out for lunch.

7 comments:

Donna Alward said...

I love Austen, but I LOVE Eliot as well. What's your fave? My fave of hers is Daniel Deronda, and I adored the mini with Hugh Dancy as well.

Anonymous said...

Hope your dad is feeling better today.
Sounds like the spring sunshine has us all buzzing at the moment!
Excellent!

Unknown said...

Being bad now and again ought to be compulsory. Can't wait to see the new RH when you get it. Ooh, I near wrote 'if you get it'. Tsk.

Hope your dad has a much better day.

Kate Hardy said...

Donna - The Mill on the Floss. Utter, utter, utter fave. (Closely followed by Middlemarch, which I was privileged to do for A level.)

The mini series (MotF) with Emily Watson and Bernard Hill was well done.

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - sadly, he's not (but hopefully he can have a reassessment from the Parkinson's team soon and adjust his meds).

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - it's the "now and again" bit. Been a little bit too frequent, lately...

The new Radley bag is here - I do like it, a lot, but my lifestyle means it will get scruffy. (I still think my fave is the racing car. Or maybe the balloon. Hmm. Spring. Time to change bags, methinks.)

Sadly, Dad was having a bad day today. I did get him to laugh a couple of times (by telling him very inappropriate jokes) but... I confess that I bought the kids some Lindor eggs, but ate them myself for (late) lunch. They worked, though :o) Kate Happy. (Kate Lardy. Don't tell Mrs P.)

Kate Hardy said...

One further thought on the Radley front. He saw the email so he knows the bag is out today.

I have to go shopping tomorrow for birthday pressies. And I am not allowed to go on my own. Interesting... I did suggest going with daughter, but that was vetoed even more firmly (on the grounds that it would mean two bags, probably something from Sonkai and a trip to Hotel Chocolat).

Busted...