Tuesday, October 14, 2008

When she was bad…

Current work: articles/new Medical/tinkering with other projects
Listening to: Sheryl Crow
Reading: Margaret McDonagh, An Italian Affair (enjoyed this very much – fabulous setting, and her trademark heart-warming characters)

Had a very nice email from one of my publishers yesterday, and we ended up agreeing what my next three books for them will be. So I’m a very happy bunny. It means I get to do stuff in my birth county (which will also make my family happy, as most of them still live there).

Spoke to Dad last night to check if today was still on; he wasn’t feeling too well, so Madam and I stayed in town today and did some café-hopping. Had my eyes tested; I needed new glasses but, as I’ve had this pair for 6 years and my previous pair had the same prescription, that’s not too bad. Madam found her birthday dress and is pleased with it. (She saw several more she liked in Monsoon, but they were eye-wateringly expensive for the amount of wear she’d get out of them. And funny how my friends recommend shops and they find lovely stuff, whereas we go in and it’s all a bit meh and she loathes it. That, or maybe my daughter just has expensive tastes.)

While we were dress-shopping, we discovered that Debenhams had a sale in a certain department, and a certain something was in the sale… Let’s just say I’m going to be in trouble when DH realises on Thursday that wifey’s outfit matches. Even though it was utterly obvious that I was going to crack eventually and buy said purchase. I feel horribly guilty. It wasn’t strictly necessary; and there’s a recession on; and thrift is the new flash and all that…

Then again, I work really hard. And I deserve the occasional treat. And…

Yeah. I guess I’m a bad puppy today.

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ah. you've got it. I'm surprised you held out for so long. ;o)

Of course you deserve it. You work very, very hard!

Jan Jones said...

It's probably just the right size to fit illicit book purchases in. Therefore it is serving a double purpose and is excusable.

Lorix said...

Maybe he will be so proud of you winning your award he won't even notice your new purchase....

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley, that's not what DH said *g*

(Not that I don't deserve it. He said why couldn't I have waited until after the awards?)

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - yup. Illicit book purchases will fit perfectly.

Kate Hardy said...

Lori - thanks for the vote of confidence!

... I did confess, though. Because I was feeling so guilty. And I just got a big sigh and the look that says, "Woman, you are totally hopeless."

Liz Fielding said...

Wait until afterwards? What's with that?

And hopeless? What planet...

I'll shut up. You've got your lovely and much-deserved bag. Enjoy.

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - that's "hopeless at waiting". For Radley bags, chocolate or cake :o)