Thursday, October 23, 2008

displacement (and a discovery)

Current work: new Medical/nonfic/tinkering with other projects
Listening to: Whitesnake
Reading: Nicholas Orme, Medieval children (interesting subject matter and I like his style - good read - it's research and am thoroughly enjoying it – NB this is a huge book so it’ll take me a while!)

This morning, daughter announced that she’d like a charm bracelet for her birthday. Tonight, I’m doing a talk to rather a lot of people, so I’m a tad fidgety today… hence the displacement activity of looking up charm bracelets this morning.

They seem to come either pre-loaded (with stuff that is not to my taste and probably won’t be to hers), or they’re eye-wateringly expensive (for a child her age… hmm…).

And then I discovered the ‘modern’ charm bracelets. Pandora. Utterly gorgeous. And I’d rather like one.

Which is odd, because I’m not really a jewellery person. I wear my wedding ring, my watch (also bought by DH) and if I’m dressing up I’ll wear a pendant or my posh pearls. But I’m not one for lots of rings or ankle-chains or bracelets or earrings (especially not earrings – do I look as if I’m mad enough to let someone stick a needle through my ear and cause me lots of pain?).

Though the charms that go with the Pandora bracelets are lovely. Murano glass and the kind of quirky stuff that I like. (Very like a medieval rosary, in fact... but I digress and I am not supposed to be working on medieval stuff today.) And something my friend Ray-Anne said a while back stuck in my mind: her DH bought her a charm bracelet to celebrate the sale of her first M&B, and she’s going to add a charm with each book. What a lovely, lovely idea.

If I did that (and backdated it) I’d have a Pandora bracelet AND necklace by now, especially if I added the nonfics. I can’t be that naughty. (Really, I can’t. Not unless Radley is involved.) But I do like the idea of a charm per book. Something special to keep.

So I read up about the company. They come from Denmark. Hmm. So does my mother’s side of the family (her grandmother was a Danish midwife). They’ve been going for 25 years, and I recently celebrated my 25th M&B (last year = recent in book terms, yes?).

You can see where this is going. Same way as I convinced myself about the Radley bag. This is meant to be, is it not?

And although I make a point of never, EVER dressing my daughter as a mini-me (and in any case she has a completely different style – she’s far more girly than I am), I could stretch a point for this, as we’d choose very different charms. Hers would be girly. Mine would be quirky. (Supposing they teamed up with Radley for a dog… or had a spaniel rather than Patch…)

I have to go into town tomorrow to pick up my new specs and see about Madam’s birthday pressie, depending on what she says tonight. Son has an inset day. Whether he’s a good or a bad influence remains to be seen :o)

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Kate,

Murano glass beads...In all those different colours. How can you possibly resist? Just the thought of the lovely, sparkly coolness of them makes me shiver with 'must have' greed. Again.

Lots of love,

Rach.

Anonymous said...

I love my charm bracelet - and it is the only bracelet I possess, which says something.
I am totally with you on the jewellery front.

By strange serendipity I had a Pandora catalogue in the post last week - and wow. Lots of lovely things to covet. Seriously good. Each collection was colour coded and well designed and quality.I loved the amber and natural stones.

And yes, I did come close to ordering a couple of charms and pendants to add to my bracelet - just advance planning you understand, but my sensible head said wait until the next book is sold.
Since you have no such excuse, I say go for it.
It would look wonderful on you, and Madame would be thrilled.

Kate Hardy said...

Rach - you are a bad influence :o) (I've had private emails telling me the same thing!)

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - you are also a bad influence. (We're talking about TWO bracelets here. And if I decide that mine starts with my last contract, that's two charms for the Sheikh duo... plus whatever Madam persuades me to buy her!)

Jan Jones said...

Me, I'm just going for the amber collection...

Anonymous said...

Once again, since your husband is not here to do so, I will be the voice of reason.

She is a young child, yes? Say 10? or 11? perhaps younger? Does she really need a glass bracelet and the charms? Will they not break? Will mom..er..mum (?) take care and clean them?

And what of the expense?

I'm sorry. I'm speaking from the problem of almost losing our house. I suppose that if it is her birthday, and she really is set on it, I don't see why not.

Please, ignore me. I was being silly.

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - amber looks wonderful on you. (And what WAS in that little black box?)

Kate Hardy said...

Lou - yup, she's younger than that, so I'd nix the glass charms for her at the moment.

The silver ones, though, are nice. The Pandora charms aren't spiky, don't have to be soldered on to a bracelet, and will last a lifetime. And the idea is to buy her the basic bracelet now, and add a charm every birthday and Christmas from now on until it's full. Or family can club together and buy her a charm (Christmas this year in my family is going back to what it should be - a season to spend time together and enjoy each other's company, instead of a commerce-fest: pressies will be limited and will have lots of thought behind them).

Hugs on the house issue - hope it all sorts itself out the right way for you.

Melissa Amateis said...

I love charm bracelets! Unfortunately, I don't wear bracelets very often as they interfere with my typing. ;-)

Anonymous said...

So, I'm guessin you missed this....

http://www.johnlewis.com/Fashion/Handbags/Handbags/Radley/4867/ProductType.aspx?source=44314

Kate Hardy said...

Melissa: welcome home :o) Looking forward to catching up with all your stories of your stay! (Lovely pics of the Oxford church, btw.)

Kate Hardy said...

Gillie - 20% off? Oh, my. (I'll add you to the bad influence list, too *g*)

Anonymous said...

I could get brownie points with your husband right now..so here goes.

Kate, ignore the 20%! You're British....English..whatever....have some dignity! Besides, they'll get you with the taxes.

Nell Dixon said...

My youngest daughter has a charm bracelet, we bought it for her with money she was given when she was born, now every birthday or Christmas she gets an antique charm. Some are gifts from family, some she chose herself but she loves it.

Liz Fielding said...

I nearly passed out when I had my ears pierced -- had to be carried to the pub next door and plied with brandy :)

Never regretted it though. Earrings are just the easier jewellery to wear. I hate things around my neck.

Diane said...

I had a silver charm bracelet when you did exactly what you were supposed to do with them. They didn't come preloaded. They came empty, apart from a locket, and friends and relatives added to it over the year. Mine was full of lovely, quirky charms eventually - a church that opened up to reveal a wedding party, a cracked egg that opened to reveal a baby chick, things like that - and it seemed so much more ... "special", I suppose. I'd love to know what happened to it. Anyway, that's what I'd go for for Chloe, if we still can. And if you can't find one, try the Jewellery Quarter in Birmingham - a bit of home grown industry in this time of recession. :o)

Lorix said...

Wow, thanks for the Pandora link they are really beautiful bracelets. Just got to think of a reason now why I should have one!

Got the books in the post today, (thank you, you didn't have to do that - work, children, a husband, life's busy I understand!) I have already started Sold to the Highest Bidder and I love it already (maybe to do with the beautiful setting!)

So thanks again and good luck with the present buying - and birthday wishes to your daughter.

Lori x

Kate Hardy said...

Lou - LOL! I did stay out of John Lewis today. (Actually, I have all the Radley stuff I want. Apart from the sunglasses, and they're not in the sale.)

Kate Hardy said...

Nell - lovely idea. My daughter actually got the idea from reading a Jacqueline Wilson book, but now she's thought about it and she loves the idea of choosing something that has a special meaning.

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - arrrgh. You're a braver woman than I am. I think they'd have to sedate me first.

Things around my neck have to be loose. Which is why my pearls are princess length rather than choker, and any pendant has to be 22 inches. (Won't be going for the Pandora necklace, for that reason.)

Kate Hardy said...

Diane - apparently the charms are getting harder and harder to find, and the ones I saw today didn't feel particularly individual. LOVE the ideas on yours, especially the wedding and the chick one.

Kate Hardy said...

Lori - they're even better in the flesh. (Sonkai in Norwich - opposite Jarrolds and right next to Captain America's.) Might be a stockist in King's Lynn?

Sara (who's VERY nice and really helpful - this is a jeweller's that really DOES care about its customers) says that it makes life easier for husbands and family re birthdays - they know what to get you, and you can set up a wishlist so they know they'll be able to delight you. (DH will be pleased that this year I won't be asking for a book token!)

Glad the books arrived OK. And yes, the setting in STTHB is rather nice *g* (The outside = Swannington, i.e. the house next to the church. Been my dream home for years, but it's about a million quid out of my price range, sadly!)

Thanks for the bday wishes for Madam. The big day is next weekend, but I think celebrations are going to be over the entire half term...