Thursday, October 02, 2008

what women want…

Current work: revisions
Listening to: Bach
Reading: not – am writing

Specifically, what this woman wants.

DH says I don’t need it. I beg to differ. A handbag covered in handbags, to me, says ‘romance author’. I have not yet found my painting. So I think this bag says ‘award-winning romance author’. (Actually, it says, “The familiar is made beautiful through love.” QED. It is MADE for me.) And I have an awards do to go to - OMG, two weeks today - and this bag will match my award-winning romance author outfit perfectly. They also do it in pink, but I've seen this one in the flesh and this is the one that speaks to me. (Yeah, yeah. I know handbags don't talk, per se. You know what I mean.)

The talk went well yesterday, after a scary start. No hands up at my first question. My heart sank a little: and some of the kids had a real ‘I don’t want to be here’ expression on their faces. But I had a little something up my sleeve – rather, on the table. (The Norfolk Almanac of Disasters. Want to know what happened on your birthday?) Every so often, I told them another little story. By the end of the session, they were all putting their hands up and contributing (and lots of them asked me where they could get my book – bless). So I hope I achieved my aim of showing them that books can be fun – it’s a pleasure that can be shared, and it doesn’t have to cost anything if you use your library.

Have been asked to open a new library in another school, and I’m delighted - I’ve always wanted to cut a ribbon. (I’d also love to switch on some Christmas lights…) And am looking forward to next week’s talk at Madam’s school.

But for now... I need ways of convincing DH that this handbag is mine, mine, mine. (I could sneak out and buy it, though will have to be sans kids as Madam is a complete and utter grass and she would tell him.)

Suggestions?

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Yes, dear, my publishers gave me the very bag I wanted for all the hard work I've put in!'

or

'I'm all out of paper, so I'm just popping out to the stationers and won't be long!'

Erm...try and imagine a heroine in one of your books is in this predicament. How would she get it?

Answers on a postcard, please...

Anonymous said...

So pleased that your talk went well - and being asked to open a new library??? Bliss. [ I have a thing about libraries. Cannot help it]
As for the bag problem?
Well Santa does arrive early in some households....hint. LOL

Michelle Styles said...

It is a very award winning romance author bag...
I say no more.
I am sure it will add a certain something to your arm

Anonymous said...

Dear Kate,

you just HAVE to buy that bag.

Not only would it go beautifully with your covetable black pearls, but if you don't buy it immediately you won't be able to sleep for worrying that someone has beaten you to it. And lack of sleep is bad is it not?

best wishes,
Rach

Liz Fielding said...

This bag is clearly a necessity. You need this bag. Your award winning romance authors outfit needs this bag.

You deserve this bag.

I still regret not buying a beaded Lulu Guiness bag years ago -- the one I gave to Daisy in TBMATBM. Nuf said...

Anonymous said...

Umm...can I side with the DH for once? Please don't hurt me for this, but other than being a lovely addition to your outfit (and I do agree it IS lovely.), do you really NEED this bag?

I mean your having to repair your floors, so is a handbag really a necessity?

Just trying to be the voice of reason...

Nell Dixon said...

The bag is a taxable expense as you would be buying it for an awards do and as Rachel said if it affects your sleep - he wouldn't want you trying more pillows *blink blink*

Unknown said...

You're right in that handbags don't talk. They scream "Come and get me!"

You deserve it. You've had a rough time lately. You're an award-winning author. Of course you must have it.

Kate Hardy said...

Nicolette - LOL. Bad girl :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Ray-Anne - thanks. It's a school library (but it still counts!). Hmm, early Christmas...

Kate Hardy said...

Michelle - exactly. Now I need DH to see it that way.

Kate Hardy said...

Rach - LOL, will suggest that. Lack of sleep makes me verrrry grumpy.

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - yup. If I don't buy it, I'll regret it. And I didn't buy either of the last two signature bags. In fact, three out of the last four. So I have been good...

Kate Hardy said...

Lou - the flooring is being done through the house insurance (otherwise I'd be weeping - it's a substantial sum of money).

But you do have a point. There is a recession. I would feel immensely guilty frittering money on this bag. (Except it's money I had as an award... And at the time I did promise I'd spend it on me and not on DH and the kids.)

Kate Hardy said...

Nell - yup, that's a Tempera pillow and maybe another down one. Hmm... :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - my thoughts exactly. I deserve a break. (Especially as all my working time seems to be sucked out and I'll be working on these revisions until midnight tonight...)

Pat Posner said...

Glad the talk went well. Kids come up with great questions and answers once you get them going!

So, have you bought it yet?