Thursday, January 14, 2010

relieved, and humbled

Current work: Medical (later today)
Listening to: Queen
Reading: Julia Williams, Last Christmas (finished and enjoyed)

I’m very relieved to say that Dad’s turned the corner. He’s not completely out of the woods, but is so much better than he was. It’s been a tough few days, and on Tuesday we really did think we were going to lose him. (Talking officially about funeral arrangements is not something we normally do – and didn’t even do when he was in hospital. This really was a close-run thing. And I’m not ready to lose him yet. I want to celebrate his 75th birthday with him next month, and my own birthday two days later.) But the antibiotics have started to kick in; his breathing is better, he’s not so ‘rattly’, and he was quite happy for me to feed him slices of strawberry, pineapple and melon this morning

I’m also humbled by the kindness people have shown. I’ve always believed that people are nice until proven otherwise, and this week has really proved it.

So I’d like to say thank you.

To my husband, who picked up everything I dropped on Tuesday and kept things going until I’m able to take over the reins again, has kept my car topped up with petrol, been my rock to cry all over, and even offered to cook so I didn’t have to worry).

To family and friends who’ve been so supportive and generous with offers of practical help with school runs as well as sending lovely texts, emails and posting good wishes here.

To the carers at the home, who’ve been marvellous.

And to complete strangers who were nice enough to reverse back to the passing place on the single-track, iced-over road to the home when I explained that there was no way my little car was going to get on the verge and I really needed to be at my father’s bedside. And also to the man driving the white van too close behind me on said road today who, when I stopped my car and got out and explained that I’m really nervous about driving on ice and he was driving so close that it was freaking me, and I’m shaky as it is because my elderly father’s been dangerously ill and I’ve been too worried to sleep – you could see the anger melt away, replaced by an ‘oh, bless, I can see my missus being exactly the same’ expression on his face, and he promised to stay back. (And, most importantly, he actually did so.)

Thank you. Kindness really does make the world a better place, even when it's dark.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

So pleased things are better.
lx

Victoria Lamb said...

Glad to have you back! Hope things continue to improve.

Jx

Scarlet Wilson said...

Glad to hear your dad is doing better, but stop making me cry! Your post today is just lovely x

Caroline said...

Ohh so relieved that your dad is on the mend! We have all be rooting for you. Take care. Caroline x

Nell Dixon said...

I'm so glad your Dad has turned the corner. People are nice generally, I've found but then I always believe you get back what you give out. Love and hugs.

Unknown said...

As Nell said, you get back what you give out.

So glad things are better. And don't forget what I said - take good care of yourself.

Amy Andrews said...

Great news Kate. Relieved to hear things have turned the corner.
Amy. Xx

Sheila Norton said...

Hoping things will keep improving, Kate. And how sweet of you to be thanking everyone. I agree, most people are inherently nice. They just forget, sometimes. x

Liz Fielding said...

Glad to hear things are easier for you, Pam. Hope things continue to improve.

Katie said...

So glad to hear your Dad is doing better

Jane Henry said...

Hi Kate,

Sorry didn't know your dad had been so ill. Having similar time with aged mil, so many sympathies. And really glad you liked the book. Hope it wasn't too close to home(-: Love Julesx