Friday, January 15, 2010

and… breathe

Current work: Medical (shredding and redoing outline)
Listening to: Queen
Reading: India Grey – Powerful Italian, Penniless Housekeeper (excellent so far – she gets better and better with each book)

Dad had a good night and is brighter this morning, so that’s a huge relief. I got some sleep, last night, and this morning my head is back to where it should be. I’ve realised what the problem is with my outline (completely wrong conflict for the hero – didn’t work with the heroine’s conflict to make both worse, as it should do in a decent romance) so have been shredding it and scribbling notes while simultaneously doing packed lunches and nagging about teeth-cleaning. (Well, hey. If you’re going to multi-task, might as well do it in style.)

Only thing is, now I have to decipher my handwriting…

There was a big fat pheasant in our garden this morning, strutting round. Byron was having a nap; if he’d done his usual trick of looking out of the back door on his hind legs, he would’ve been desperate to be out there, stalking the pheasant and then making it squawk and fly up before trotting back to me, very pleased with himself. (He’s a pet rather than a working dog, but he has four generations of field trial champions on his pedigree so it’s in his genes. His dad was quite a star and apparently, when he’d done his job, he’d be back to his owner’s side, nudging her knee, as if to say, ‘I’ve done my job now. Can I walk with you again?’ Byron has that same sweet nature. )

10 comments:

Victoria Lamb said...

I know where you're coming from. Multi-tasking must be so common for working mothers (not sure about working dads, lol).

I habitually have my laptop open (erm, perched on the toaster - not on!!) while making dinner, and often my ipod plugged into my ears at the same time, as music helps me concentrate, and will shift between cooker and laptop and fridge and sink in a strange dance of multi-tasking. Not usually writing, which demands rather more of me, but editing or note-taking or other piecemeal tasks that can be safely and competently done while juggling pasta.

Good to hear things are better with your dad.

Donna Alward said...

Is Byron a Brittany?

Dreamer too came from working dog training, so a trip to the lake puts her in pure heaven.

Miss Bougie said...

So happy to hear that things are going uphill again with your dad.
I haven't commented before, because there have been so many of your fans that had left messages of support.
But I have felt for you and have been trying to blow some positive thoughts over the Channel.
I fear they have arrived accompanied by snow - sorry, sorry.
I have been there as well with both of my parents and I know it is a very distressing time.
Hugs

Lacey Devlin said...

It's such good news that he's doing better! I'm so glad. Poor

Byron, if only he'd looked out the back door :P

Julie Cohen said...

Big hugs to you and all your family. I'm so glad your dad is doing better.

Kate Hardy said...

Jane - wow, that's REALLY multi-tasking. I scribble notes while cooking, but am not quite brave enough to do it on the laptop :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Donna - he's an English Springer Spaniel (closely related to the Brittany).

Kate Hardy said...

Brigitte - thank you. (For the good wishes. Not for the snow!!)

Kate Hardy said...

Lacey - thanks. :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Julie - thanks. :o)