Friday, January 22, 2010

chocolate and recalcitrant characters

Current work: Medical (writing out of sequence)
Listening to: Crowded House
Reading: Kate Walker, the Konstantos Marriage Demand (another of Kate’s trademark intense reads – enjoyed it)

Umm. Yesterday, I managed to pay my tax bill, do stuff on the Wii fit, and parcel up an enormous amount of stuff for the post office run.

Additions to wordcount: zero.

Yup, that's right. A big, fat zero.

Talking of big and fat, I cracked yesterday and bought a Ripple bar in the post office. (That’s not actually too bad, in the scheme of things. But I practically inhaled it; that’s not so good.)

This book is not working. Chapter 1 works. Chapter 4 will work, as will the chapters after that. It’s the ‘in between’ that’s the problem. So I think today I’m going to ignore the hole and work on chapter four. Once the gaping hole in the MS has defined edges, I will know what needs to go there. If I try tiptoeing round it, it seems to develop true black hole properties and sucks me in. So I need to get back in control.

Dear hero and heroine: you’re both too closed off. One of you has to crack first. Please can you do it today? Because my deadline is getting a bit squeaky, and I have a workshop to prepare, so I’m getting twitchy. (Why did I say yes to the workshop? Was I mad? I know I’ll enjoy it when it happens, but… it’s half term next month. I have no time to breathe. Gulp. Might have to go to the post office on the way home for another Ripple…)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Ooh, I could kill for a Ripple right now. I don't have a single piece of chocolate in the house.

Good luck getting those characters to behave themselves - and preparing for the workshop. Yup, it definitely sounds as if you need another Ripple. Or two... ;o)

Lacey Devlin said...

NO RIPPLE! BAAAAADDD RIPPLE!

:P Actually I'll be the person right there beside you buying up the rest of the chocolate stock but I figured someone has to rain on the parade ;)

Caroline said...

Crikey! I *swear* I can feel your stress coming out of my pc! Hope your H/h start behaving themselves very very soon! Caroline x

Liz Fielding said...

Resist the Ripple!

I've already fallen into the black hole so know what you're suffering. May we both emerge safely through the far side sometime this week (Please!)

Have to confess, I feel for a Caramel Egg the other day. I am so much safer getting my groceries delivered!

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - DH bought a multi-pack. And he left them in the chocolate drawer in the fridge. Oh, dear...

Kate Hardy said...

Lavey - nice try, and thank you, but DH heard these little whimpers of 'Ripple'. I asked him for ONE (because I know how bad I can be). He came back with 10. Sob...

Kate Hardy said...

Caroline - yup, I was in stress puppy mode :o) Seems to be moving again now, thanks to an old trick... Thanks for the support.

Kate Hardy said...

Liz - I didn't, but this is a new week. We are both going to be good, right?

(I have my groceries delivered for much the same reason, btw - that, and it saves me time queuing with grumpy kids.)