Monday, January 12, 2009

On being deaf… and an unexpected visitor

Current work: Norway book and nonfic
Listening to: Dire Straits (Sultans of Swing)
Reading: Impoverished Miss, Convenient Wife: Michelle Styles (loved this – and not just because of the dedication page ;o) – we have a really damaged, Rochester-like hero; a down to earth yet proud heroine (Phoebe was just brilliantly drawn – and I loved the way she dealt with some of the nasty, gossipy secondaries and the way she forced Simon to see the truth about the nurse); a good plot – and some great stuff about the coal mines. One of the things I like about Michelle’s books is that I always learn something from them)

I’m blogging over at the Medical Romance Authors’ site today about how much of me there is in my current Medical duo. It’s a kind of continuation from my last post, but this time talking more about the difference sound makes to my world. Oh, and there’s a book up for grabs there, too (not the same as the one that’s up for grabs here).

Edit (09.15): got home from school and was making myself a coffee while tidying the kitchen and waiting for the floor people when I noticed a new visitor to the bird feeder.

Rara avis?

Er. No. Sciurus carolinensis.


So much for poles being squirrel-proof. He loped up it and sat there quite happily, even when I knocked on the window. Again, this is a zoom shot through glass, so it’s not good, but I am going to lift my game photograph-wise this year. And one good thing: at least now I know what I saw dropping from the bird-table last month, so my MR Jameseian thoughts can be put to bed…

4 comments:

Michelle Styles said...

LOL on your visitor.
My mother who has similar problems vaselines the pole and then they can't grip on...but they are very intelligent.

Jan Jones said...

I am SO not going to mention the I-told-you-so phrase here.

Kate Hardy said...

Michelle - I might just try that trick...

Kate Hardy said...

Jan - LOL. You're thinking it. (And I knew you were going to say it even as I posted that pic!)