Friday, January 09, 2009

Having my head back

Current work: Norway book and nonfic
Listening to: Sheryl Crow
Reading: The Secret Mistress Arrangement, Kimberly Lang (enjoyable debut for Modern Heat. Loved the wedding scene at the beginning)

Funny how some days you wake up and, even though it’s subzero and grey outside (aka freezing fog), it feels like bright sunshine. Last year, I spent most of my time worrying, and not enough time creating. This week, I feel I’m back to my normal self – brimming with bright ideas and having a smile that goes all the way through me, rather than the public smiley face that doesn’t include my eyes or my heart. And it feels WONDERFUL. So I think I’ve finally managed to draw a line under 2008 and move on.

My poor ed – not only did she get my revisions back yesterday morning, she got a brief outline for the book after next… and the one for two books after that. With a hint of the one that’s two books further on. (In other words, they were all Modern Heat ideas.) And this is in addition to the one that I’m not 100% sure will work as an M&B. (Actually, she wasn’t that horrified at being flooded with ideas. She says it’s nice to have me back as my usual chirpy self. Everyone I spoke to on the phone yesterday said the same thing: that I’m sounding myself again and it’s nice to have me back.)

My work-life balance goal is definitely working at the moment. And guess what? The Wii Fit reckoned I’ve lost 1lb this week. Bonus. 4lbs to lose before Feb 10 is looking very doable. So I celebrated with the purchase of a lovely deep blue glass Pandora bead. (My bracelet needs to match my outfit on Feb 10, doesn’t it?) I’m celebrating having a week that was NORMAL. Makes a wonderful change on last year.

I had a lovely interview with Kelly from Disability Now magazine yesterday, about my deaf doctor book. I also learned something: apparently people subscribe either to the social model of disability (i.e. that people should accommodate someone with a disability) or the medical model of disability (that the person with the disability is a problem that needs fixing). I think I'm between the two: I'm aware that it’s MY problem, and I don't expect special treatment, but I also think that you get an awful lot more done if you work as a team to accommodate it. So in a meeting with me, if you whisper and put your hand in front of your mouth, I'll ask you to speak up and remove your hand, or at least move your hand so I can lipread you; but I won't make a fuss about it if you forget. I’m more likely to ask you to check my notes afterwards, in case I missed something. And if you talk to me when I’m not expecting it (or in a noisy social situation) and I’m not facing you, you’re highly unlikely to get an answer because I won’t have picked it up. (In that case, I’d say it’s your problem rather than mine, because you’re expecting me to do something I can’t physically do! Especially if I’m on Planet Kate, i.e. thinking about a book…)

Remember there’s still a book up for grabs, to celebrate my RNA Romance Prize shortlisting. Simply answer the question to be in with a chance. It’s occurred to me that other people are probably doing the ‘spend less time on the Web’ thing, too, so I’m keeping it open until Wednesday evening (UK time) next week, to give people a chance to enter.

(Oh, and the eleven punnets thing: I should’ve made it clearer. They delivered one but billed me for eleven. All sorted now.)

10 comments:

Nell Dixon said...

The social model of disability also includes disablement by disadvantage eg depression caused by long term unemployment - that kind of thing. It's much more sensible and implies that everyone has a role to play in making life accessible to everyone.

Diane said...

Glad you're sounding and feeling better. Aside from all the other background rubbish, the increasing daylight may also be helping. I too am feeling brighter today ... unless it's just that Friday feeling. :o)

Anonymous said...

How did I not know you had a blog? Well, I bookmarked it now, so watch out!

So glad you enjoyed the book!

Unknown said...

So glad you've managed to draw a line under the year from hell and what a great start to this year.

World domination will continue then. :o)

Anonymous said...

Hurrah. Delighted for you. And well done on the submissions.

Kate Hardy said...

Nell - thanks, that clarifies it even more. Agreed, much more sensible.

Kate Hardy said...

Diane - thanks, am definitely feeling better. Glad you are, too.

Kate Hardy said...

Kimberly - LOL :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - thanks, and I hope so. In a nice sense rather than a Napoleonic one :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Ray - thanks :o)