Wednesday, August 27, 2008

gearing up for the new term

Current work: nonfic; MH duo book 2
Listening to: Nick Drake
Reading: Nell Dixon, Blue Remembered Heels (enjoyed it)

As of yesterday, we were pretty much ready for school, except for the sport stuff. I annexed DH to help there – I could sort out indoor and outdoor trainers, but football boots and shin pads are definitely a male preserve. (I think it took him back. I could see he was itching to start on the 'when I was a boy' tack.)

Today, I had the delightful task of naming everything. DH claimed to have sorted out the children's wardrobes (bearing in mind I specifically asked him NOT to touch the new school stuff until I'd named it). Er… so why were there a million too-small coathangers still in there, taking up the space? Why were there still clothes that were way too small? And why had he mixed up last year's school uniform with this year's? Sigh. So I went through it myself. A little bit of organisation makes life so much easier. And my goal this year is to teach my children how to be organised. (Youngest should get it pretty quickly. Eldest has ADHD and organisation will help him so much… but actually getting him to be organised in the first place, and remember it, is the tricky bit.)

Builder came this morning– he was very nice and made it painless for us. But my kitchen floor is now bare concrete again and the plinths are gone from the units. And it smells of damp. Ick, ick, ick. Wish me speedy drying time. Kleptodog is very unhappy with the situation and is sulking on his bed in my office, on top of a huge pile of shoes. (One from each pair. So we can't go out without him, in his eyes.)

Went to see Dad this afternoon. He's doing OK and was interested in all the family history stuff I'd printed out for him. His new room is bigger and lighter, and he has a lovely view - over the field next door from one window, and the church from the other. He's happy and settled, so fingers crossed the panel will do the right thing. (The hardest thing about this is having to wait on other people's schedules and having no control whatsoever over it. Patience, grasshopper.)

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So glad your dad is happy and settled. That's the main thing. I hope all goes well.

Oh, men. Tsk. They can't sort out anything. It's beyond them.

Jan Jones said...

The trouble is that the word 'organised' means so much more to us than it does to them...

Glad your dad happier.

Unknown said...

I know exactly what you are going through with your dad. We had to wait on panels etc and it is so frustrating and so scary as you want what is best but it is such a terrible situation to be in. My thoughts are with you. At least with the floor, There will be an end in sight.. you will get through it.

Melissa Amateis said...

A lovely view can do wonders for the spirit. :-)

Nell Dixon said...

Glad you enjoyed the book. Good to hear your Dad is settled too.

Kate Hardy said...

Shirley - me, too. (It's the waiting I hate.) And yes... MEN.

Jan - LOL. Very true.

Carol - thanks.

Melissa - seems to be working so far.

Nell - I did, and thanks.