Thursday, August 14, 2008

D is for...

Current work: nonfic; MH duo book 2
Listening to: Kathryn Williams
Reading: Next on TBR pile

Disaster. Which is the zone my life appears to have entered for the last three weeks.

It's also for something else scary. Dentist. Yup... there was I, keeping all fingers and toes crossed that all the disasters had gone. But at 3.30 am on Wednesday morning, I was hunting through the medicine cabinet for painkillers.

8.30, lovely receptionist answered the phone and booked me in for lunchtime. Arrive with kids and timidly ask who's going to see me. To my relief, NOT the dentist who hurt me last year. To my even bigger relief, a female dentist.

She did the usual tapping things. Teeth refused to react. Then: 'Oh, you've got a loose bit in your filling.' Out comes enormous needle. Two children sitting in the corner look horrified. This is a Good Opportunity, to be seized immediately. 'This is what will happen to you if you don't clean your teeth properly without me having to nag you...'

Into the waiting room. 'How loud is a drill?' asks littlest. I explain that she can hear a drill going right now. 'Can we stay here?'

Actually, am glad they did because the decayed bit (just like last year) was nasty. The words 'root canal' and 'extraction' were suggested as possibilities, countered by 'you'll need to sedate me first'.

Right, back to nice things. Remember there are still books to be won. A copy of The Spanish Doctor's Love Child at Love is the Best Medicine - where I'm talking about the lure of the Mediterranean; and at The Writing Playground, a copy of One Night, One Baby is up for grabs.

3 comments:

Diane said...

Blimey. What is it with us 3 and teeth and dentists at the moment? Must be something in the water. Fingers crossed it doesn't turn into something too painful.

Nell Dixon said...

Hugs on the filling. I took the girls to the dentist on Monday - my dentist is lovely, looks like Vin Diesel and did £100 worth of cosmetic dentistry on my eldest for free, because he thought it would help her confidence.

Melissa Amateis said...

I have to go to the dentist soon, too. Yuck.

But if I had a dentist like Nell's, I'd go every week!