Listening to: Lindsey Buckingham
Reading: Sharon Penman, The Sunne in Splendour
I have a new nonfiction book coming out later this month. So far, I don’t have a copy of the cover to share. But I do know where you can see it online: at my publisher’s website.
It’s a PDF and I think the back copy might be slightly different now (I amended it at proof stage), but it will give you a good clue as to the contents. It’s a book of my heart, so I am really looking forward to this one hitting the streets. (And if you’re wondering where the pic was taken – it’s Baconsthorpe Castle, once home to the Heydon family. The original pic was taken in broad daylight – the designer has done something clever.)
At guitar yesterday, I talked Jim into working out the first four bars of the Lindsey Buckingham arrangement I’ve wanted to play for ages (the one that plays a big part in my award-winning book Breakfast at Giovanni’s – well, hey, you lot told me to be loud and proud *g*). It’s a bit complicated (is jazz-based, complete with loads of accidentals and syncopations) but I’m looking forward to practising it. And I might add that four bars works out at 20 seconds, so it’s quite a long four bars – though it’s a slow piece. Might have a fighting chance of making the stretches, then.
- Did my proofs of The Children’s Doctor’s Special Proposal – pleased with it
- Panicked a bit over my talk for the RNA. (The butterflies have turned into kittens. I think by Friday they’ll be elephants.)
- Started my new M&B. The hero is a secondary in the book I delivered last week, so I do hope my ed likes him – or, if not, she tells me very quickly, because it’s likely to have a big impact on the new book.
- Had very nice email from the alumni sec at my old school (Wymondham College, if you’re local and were wondering). They’re going to include the RNA prize info in the next newsletter
- Pen samples arrived. I like the barrel of the pink frosted pen but am not sp sure about the clip. Eco one (black and pink) looks good. Decisions, decisions. Will do a straw poll at the conf (delegates and lovely organiser, you have been warned!).