Wednesday, October 05, 2011

new voices talk

Current work: Rome book revisions
Listening to: Bach
Reading: Nicola Cornick, One Wicked Sin (enjoying)

The New Voices talk yesterday was great fun – I had a lovely bunch of people there, and I do hope I encouraged them to go for it. I was realistic – publishing isn’t a get-rich-quick industry – but there are other rewards to the job besides money. In fact, things that money can’t buy, such not having to worry about letting colleagues down/arranging cover if you or your children are ill (because the job is flexible); or having letters from readers telling you that your book has helped them get through a tough time in their lives. And there’s a lot to be said for living your dreams. Of course there are bad days (LOL, such as doing revisions!), as with any job, but I can’t think of anything I’d rather do.

Rather less nice was the behaviour churchyard groundsman just beforehand. “Excuse me, are you the person who scatters ash all over the graves?” is not an appropriate or sensitive thing to say to someone who’s clearly putting roses on the grave of someone they love. Particularly when it’s unprovoked. (“Have you seen anyone scattering ash?” is different – it’s asking for help rather than being accusatory.) I had a long chat with the town council this morning, so hopefully they’ll teach him some people skills for the future.

1 comment:

Caroline said...

So glad you had a great workshop. One day...one day...((sigh)) Caroline x