Monday, October 24, 2011

half term – and Kleptodog excels himself

Current work: new book
Listening to: Bach
Reading: Kelly Hunter, Flirting With Intent (Kel’s books are always a good, fast read, and I love her dialogue – enjoyed this one); Milly Johnson, Autumn Crush (full of warmth and it’ll put a lump in your throat as well as a smile on your face – this is definitely my fave of hers); Nicola Cornick, Mistress by Midnight (the third of her Scandalous Women of the Ton series, and I think just about my favourite of the three – loved her bluestocking heroine and her ex-rake hero).

Half term this week, but it’s going to be a gentle-ish one as I still have a croaky voice and a bit of a cough. (It had BETTER be back by Friday. Otherwise it’ll be a notebook job because I am going if it kills me – I’m not infectious and this is one of my big events of my professional calendar.)

We had the first of daughter’s birthday bashes last Friday, and am not sure if my ribs hurt more the next day from laughing or coughing. We enjoyed the bowling; daughter won the second game, and we didn’t let her win. so she can be proud that she did it all by herself. At dinner afterwards, Kleptodog excelled himself. DH was lounging on the beanbag after dinner while daughter dished out slices of birthday cake to everyone. DH made the mistake of taking his eyes off his plate for half a second; this was just enough for Kleptodog to pinch the cake and gulp it down. (Dog does have quite a bit of previous form on the cake-stealing front; that ‘Little Dog Laughed’ pic of a spaniel entitled ‘where there’s hope, there’s cake’ could’ve been modelled on him. It’s here if you want to take a look.) What happened next had better not be related; suffice it to say that disinfectant was involved!

Thanks to everyone who’s made such nice comments here, on FB or privately about my radical hair change. Really appreciated. And I am having a slight lightbulb moment…

3 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

Glad the dd had a lovely day, Kate. Dogs and cake... nuff said.

So looking forward to seeing you on Friday, even if you are communicating via notebook. Hope not!

Lacey Devlin said...

I adore Kelptodog! It probably seems fair enough to him - if you take your eyes off of it, it's fair game :-)

Lacey Devlin said...

P.S. I am now the proud owner of Max Factor foundation ;-)