Monday, April 22, 2013

Mixing it up a bit

Current work: Cherish romance (aka M&B #57)
Listening to: Beethoven
Reading: Eliza Graham, The History Room (enjoying) and Jojo Moyes, The Girl You Left Behind
Gym: Cardio intervals and kettlebells (I am going to feel it tomorrow)

Mixing the diet up a bit after my pal Michelle Styles told me about Haylie Pomroy's diet in the Times at the weekend; very interesting reading. Right now, I'm in a place where I can experiment, and I was intrigued by the idea - to me it looks like interval eating/carb cycling, so I’ll give it a week’s trial and see how it goes (i.e. I want 1lb off and for it to be sustainable - if I'm hungry, grumpy or can't think straight on any of the phases, then it's back to eating sensibly and counting calories).

One of her edicts is that you have to drink 1oz of water for every 2lb of body weight (and I did check she meant UK fluid ounces and not US – they’re slightly different). Yikes. And no coffee. No wheat, no caffeine and no soy I can live with; no dairy might be harder. There are points in the day when I really want a proper cup of tea. And as I like mine very weak and milky… yeah. Rice milk is not going to work for me, there!

So, the meal plan for today: breakfast = oats, blueberries and raspberries; morning snack = peach; lunch = lentil soup, prawns, salad and quinoa; afternoon snack = fresh pineapple; dinner = chicken with apple, with lots of veg and some basmati rice, followed by a mix of pomegranate, peach and fresh pineapple. Yum. Much higher in carbs than I would normally eat (and OMG, sugar...), lower in protein, but the cals work out pretty much the same. Phase two is a bit tougher (basically protein and green veg); and phase three looks very like my normal eating plan, i.e. lots of oily fish and lean protein, veggies, low-GI carbs and a little bit of fruit (I normally go for low-sugar, high-anthocyanin fruits). Plus I have new recipes to play with, so I'm good to go :)

FINALLY finished the revisions, so it’s back to work on my dog-trainer and actor book. The sun is shining, my washing’s on the line, the birds are singing madly, the dog is snoring next to me, and all’s right with the world…

No comments: