Monday, April 13, 2009

Happy Easter and an amazing review

Current work: fiction
Listening to: John Martyn (DH has control of the music…)
Reading: Anne McAllister, Savas’ Defiant Mistress (great characterisation, loved the setting, adored the dog – recommended read)

Hope everyone has had as nice a holiday weekend as we have. Includes much playing of board games, seeing Bolt (very, very funny), some lie-ins with good books (will be posting my thoughts on those later in the week), family time, baking (Madam desperately wanted to make the cookies from Cathy Cassidy’s “Ginger Snaps”, so we did it on Easter Sunday when the grandparents could also try them), oh, and watching the new episode of Dr Who (which I thought was a bit derivative – enjoyed it, but… Lara Croft, anyone?). (And I squeezed in some work. Yay.)

And I had an especially nice Easter pressie: a truly fabulous review from Coffee Time Romance. FIVE CUPS, no less. Which, as their website says, means ‘Ultra Rare Extraordinary Read. Not many books will be rated a 5. It is a superior work’.

Colour me delighted. It’s always nice to get a good review, but this book is particularly personal - there’s an awful lot of me in Kat, as people who know me well have pointed out, and the depiction of her deafness is 100% accurate as it’s my own disability (not that I consider myself disabled – it’s just a little thing I sometimes have to work round).

Anyway, this is what Lori had to say:

The characters in this story are as strong and sexy as they are sensitive and sweet. Kat is so loving and compassionate that no matter what life throws at her, she will always look for the rainbow. There is certainly nothing wrong with the strong silent type, and Rhys fits the mold perfectly. Their story just goes to show that you can have a wonderfully hot romance, with a plot that does include the darker moments, but without the need for nasty language and bitter feuds. This is a pleasure to read, not only for its romance, but also for its intelligence and honesty.

You can read the full review here.

Thank you, Lori, for making my day.

5 comments:

Liz Fielding said...

Lovely review, Kate. Glad you had such a great weekend.

Jan Jones said...

Great review, Kate - and well deserved.

Enjoyed Dr Who too - but the opening sequence was pure Pink Panther to me.

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, Liz :o)

Kate Hardy said...

Thanks, Jan - mmm, there was some Pink Panther there too, but for me it was Lara Croft redux. (I bet Michelle Ryan had enormous fun playing that role, though.)

Is probably me as I find RTD a bit pompous (which is probably scared author overcompensating in public). Am looking forward to the next series as Steven Moffat's work resonates more with me. (Have just realised that he wrote two more series I really enjoyed...)

Jan Jones said...

I prefer Steven Moffat to RTD as well. I really hated that navel-gazing one in the planet-tour-without-Donna-that-went-wrong.

I'll miss David Tennant, though. Sigh.