Wednesday, September 03, 2008

storms and rainbows

Current work: nonfic; MH duo book 2
Listening to: Karine Polwart
Reading: The Bride Hunter, Amy Appleton (enjoying so far)

Yesterday, I had too many Anxious Mummy Moments to settle to work. However, today will be different, becayse both children thoroughly enjoyed their first day at their new schools and came home bubbling. Son’s timetable is quite complex – it’s a fortnightly one – but there’s a good mix of subjects. His first question to me was, ‘Can I have a copy of your books for the library?’ As he's going to spend a lot of time in there after school (i.e. until I've collected his sister) methinks the answer is yes, so I'm going to send him in with one every couple of days.

Was going to do tons of work last night, but DH pointed out that there was a storm on the way. The clouds were pretty spectacular at the back of the house.

(Rather like my mood after spending 20 minutes on the phone to the insurance company this morning, repeating information that they already have, for the third time - and having another of their promises of 'oh, they'll phone you the day before to confirm the time of the appointment'. Oh, like they were supposed to ring yesterday? ... I did apologise to the claims girl for being grumpy, but I want my house back the way it's supposed to be. If this drags out and we continue to have wet weather and lots of mud, bearing in mind we have a dog, the concrete is going to get disgusting very quickly.)

Anyway. During the storm, the sun came out at the back. So I knew exactly what we’d find at the front if the house: this. (It's a low-res pic so you can't see it, but there is a second rainbow above this one. I love rainbows.)
Funnily enough, the day we moved in it was sunny at the back of the house and rainy at the front, and we had a gorgeous rainbow like this. It felt like a good omen for being happy here - and as we've been here for 14 years now... QED.

Oh, and on the good news front: hurrah for Nicolette, who has her first e-book out this week. (Keep the good news coming, everyone!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Aww, thanks, Kate! That's really sweet of you! I've written it under the name of Emma Pearce as it's my mum's maiden name and she always wanted to see her name on a book...! It's my eldest son's ninth birthday today, so we're having a party tonight. He doesn't go back to school until tomorrow, but it means he starts class as the eldest. Glad to hear yours were okay on their first days back and I'll keep my fingers crossed re your house repairs.

Liz Fielding said...

Glad the ankle biters are happy, Kate. Could you send the rainbow our way? We're having tropical rain running in rivers off the roof. We really, really need a touch of sun or we're going to go down with SAD.

Jan Jones said...

Glad it went well, Kate. We had a similar rainbow today, but by the time I'd got the camera out it had gone.

Kate Hardy said...

Nicolette - that's lovely. Hope your son had a great birthday and really enjoys his first day back.

Liz - thanks, and ouch on the rain. Hope it's brighter today (here it's just dull and grey).

Jan - thanks. Hope your weather is better than it is up here.