Friday, September 09, 2011

method writing

Current work: Rome Riva
Listening to: various
Reading: next on TBR

So on Tuesday I mentioned that I was having this baking session and having a go at doing two-tone icing, i.e. following in my heroine’s footsteps.

It was immensely messy, but it was also a lot of fun. First you put a teensy bit of food colouring in the disposable bag (because you will NOT be able to get the colour out of a reusable bag, and no matter how much you wash it, the bag will always look dirty), and then you spread it about so the entire bag has a thin layer of colour – which you can’t see when you hold the bag up, but you can once the buttercream is in.





Lesson from this: use a brush. Don’t be lazy and use your fingers. Getting the colour off your hand involves the use of hand scrub. (And when it’s dark purple… yeah. Hand scrub required.)

Anyway. Then you squeeze the icing through a star-shaped nozzle, and suddenly you get lovely violet edges to the icing. (This is daughter, using an icing bag for the very first time - and she did really well, bless her.)



And when you pipe a spiral onto your fairy cakes, it looks very pretty. Especially if you have lilac glitter sprinkles as well. (This is one of mine and I guess this is a wee bit showy-offy - but in my defence I haven't used an icing bag for nearly 20 years, and I haven't done two-tone icing before, so I was very pleased with the result.)



My ed will no doubt be asking quite how this counts as work. Aha. That depends on whether a certain scene survives in the book or not…

4 comments:

Catherine J said...

Wow, that looks gorgeous.

Scarlet Wilson said...

Double wow! They look gorgeous!

RLA said...

Wow! Beautiful, thanks for sharing. I'm going to give that a go the next time I make cupcakes.

Xx

Liz Fielding said...

I sent a link to the dd, Kate - she's making cupcakes for the NCT Monkey Tea Party in Purley on Saturday - and she is so excited to give that a go. The fact that it's lilac is just the cherry on the cake. She has loved that colour since she could say it (the first colour she learned!)