Friday, May 08, 2009

just wild…

Current work: revisions for Med
Listening to: Bach
Reading: Susanna Gregory, A Conspiracy of Violence (enjoyed this – I’m a big fan of her Matthew Bartholomew series, and I think she’s caught the Restoration period well, too).

Another wildlife encounter on the school run yesterday morning: this time, it was a deer. Which are fairly common around these parts… except it was in the middle of the suburbs rather than the fields. Same place as yesterday’s swan. We spent the rest of the school run discussing out what would be next, growing progressively more outrageous with our suggestions. And then Madam decided it was time to be sensible, and suggested a chicken. Unfortunately, son and I were already in silly mode, so we started on the ‘why did the chicken cross the road’ type jokes.

So I have one for you, courtesy of son. Why did the chicken cross the road, roll in the mud and go back to the other side? Because he was a dirty double-crosser.

(Sorry. I love jokes like this. Witty without being mean. I also adore puns. Do feel free to leave one in the comments.)

Plan for today: school run, photo shoot with local paper, couple of errands in town, then home to work. (And, joy joy joy, M&S crayfish and mango salad for lunch.)

... and I will do a nonfic craft post for next week!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a media starlet you are this week Kate? Have you treated yourself to hair and make-up for your photoshoot - or is there a 'stylist' involved?
Have a great day.

linda margaret said...

Kate;

Do you believe the world sometimes seems smaller than it really is? Case in point. My husband is in London doing historical research mostly at Lambeth Palace and has a day trip planned for tomorrow to meet with a colleague he met on a previous trip. This person also does similar church history research and has a similar educational background to my husband. He has a new position - in Norwich! What are the odds, of all the places in England to be going, to go to the same place where you live. Have a good day and if you see anymore widelife on the way to school, hopefully, it is safely on the side of the road and not in the path of the car!

Cheers

Linda

Kate Hardy said...

Nina - it's the local paper so no stylists. The photographer was lovely, though, a real laugh. Hair was my usual "wash and go", but I did wear make-up...

Kate Hardy said...

Linda - as you say, very small world! If you and your husband happen to be visiting his colleague, do let me know, because it would be *lovely* to meet up.

Church history... new position... Hmm. Would this be anything to do with the "new" museum in St Peter Hungate? (I very nearly applied for that job.) (And I say "new" because it used to be a church museum - was closed, sadly, but is now reopen. Oh, rats, I could've visited today!)

linda margaret said...

Kate;

Unfortunately only my husband is going to be in Norwich, alas I don't get to the UK until Monday night and there was no time for Norwich after DS and I arrive even though I advocated for it. For sure if I was going to be in Norwich I would have wanted to buy you coffee, lunch or similar. My DH's colleague is at the Cathedral, I believe the title is Canon Librarian. I am glad you see the small world connection as well.

Cheers

Linda

Kate Hardy said...

What a shame that I won't get to see you, Linda. I would really have enjoyed showing you round! But maybe next time? Hope your DH enjoys it, anyway - and that you and DS have a lovely time in England when you join him.

Kate Hardy said...

PS - and librarian at the Cathedral... what a gorgeous job.

Even smaller world: DD visited the cathedral (and castle) today on her school trip.